Cardinal Bertone and "The Da Vinci Code"

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 11:02 am
Do you agree with Cardinal Bertone that this book is anti-Catholic, and do you think that calling such negative attention to it simply encourages people to read it?

Personally, I disagree totally with Bertone. In my opinion the book was a good read, and nothing more.

I really have to wonder at the number of those who don't realize that telling people not to read a particular book or see a particular movie or play is a great way to encourage them to go right ahead and do so, if only to find out what all the ruckus is about. Even bad publicity is still publicity. . . Rolling Eyes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 704 • Replies: 6
No top replies

au1929

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 11:15 am
The cardinal says don't mess with the way we tell the story. I guess even though it is non-fiction it touches on too many of the questions that linger about the subject.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 11:18 am
Even though it's fiction it touches on the fact that Bertone's truth has a lot of fiction in it, too. ;-)
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 09:47 pm
1. I'm Catholic (for now)

2. I liked the book, it got me to thinking.

3. I sometimes wonder if all this attention may mean that the Church IS trying to hide something. . . .
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:30 am
Cardinal Bertone
I don't so much think that the Church is tryng to hide something, as that its policies and doctrines are geared toward sex-is-a-second-rate thing, possibly (probably?) even sinful. There is no proof that Christ was married, but equally there is no proof that he wasn't.

I also think the Church is stuck in the very uptight Victorian era, not, as so many feel, in the Middle Ages.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 11:33 am
I would ask. what difference does it make if Jesus was or was not married?
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 02:14 pm
Cardinal Bertone
Well, if the Church's attitude is that marriage is a second-rate thing, well behind celibacy, virtue-wise, (see St Paul: "It is better to marry than to burn") then it would follow that Christ couldn't have been married, since he would not have participated in anything second-rate. So suggesting that he might have been married would be pretty blasphemous.
0 Replies