Elder abuse

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2018 02:57 pm

A friend's mom (age late 80s) is being physically abused by her (other) son who has history of mental issues. He is occupying her house too.

What are my friend's options for
1. Getting his mom to a long term safe shelter with assistance ?
2. Getting the abusive son out of her house and in the custody of right agencies?

My friend cannot host his mom for longer than 2-3 weeks and he needs to find her a place. Any advise/suggestion would be of great help.

jespah

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2018 03:05 pm
@vessmith,
No idea what country you're in (or state if it's the US).

He should contact a lawyer to see about assuming full custody/care. If the mother is competent, she can make out a power of attorney to only your friend. If she isn't, then your friend may need to sue over this.

As for a place for her, he can ask her primary care physician about options and also ask friends with elder family in care. He should be prepared for her to pay through the nose and probably lose any savings she's got left. And it won't do any good in the US for her to just give him all her money, as there is a 5-year (it might be 10 these days) look back to prevent that very thing.

I think priority one is getting Mom out and safe. Worry about evicting the evil son later. First things first - Mom needs to be in a place where she won't be harmed.
vessmith

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2018 04:04 pm
@jespah,
Thnx Jespah!

He lives in NJ, his mom and crazy brother lives in NY. I think she is competent, so power of attorney might be a good idea.
PUNKEY

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2018 04:10 pm
You can call Adult Protective Services. They will come out and do an evaluation to see if she’s being abused or neglected.

If it were me, I’d bring the mother nearer to my home. Find an assisted living agency or other safe place if I could’t keep her in my house.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2018 08:22 pm
@vessmith,
Does the mother live in an apartment or does she own her own home?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2018 07:20 am
@vessmith,
In NY your friend might have issues with tenant law if he wants to kick the brother out. So getting Mom better situated, even temporarily, will at least protect her. If she owns the place, then it's going to court time.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Elder abuse
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 02:03:48