Vatican Vs. DaVinci: Round 1

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 04:29 pm
I think the book has only stirred up already muddy waters.I think that reading it while on Crete was particularly fasinating.It was their favorite book there as well.I like the way it spells it:smessage with details of subverted icontry of before. It also makes pretty good sence too that jesus wouldhave more to do with Mary than meets the eye.Considering Leonardo was immersed in this premise the more evolved it has all become to everyones benefit I believe.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 09:46 am
sozobe wrote:
I've read this book and only this book, and then only for my book club -- people have urged me to read "Angels and Demons" and I've been resistant.

You are wise to resist.

I normally don't read "popular literature," but I found a worn, abandoned copy of "Angels and Demons" in the seat pocket during a LA-to-Chicago flight. I was bored with the reading material that I had brought, so I spent the next four hours reading "A&D," which is the first (and only) book of Dan Brown's that I have ever read.

My impressions: Brown is a rather poor writer whose research is often flawed or superficial (or both), but who has hit upon a gimmick that sells lots of books. In this case, the gimmick is something like a treasure hunt, where the clues all lead to the solution of a murder mystery. Here, the treasure hunt involves Renaissance art and architecture in Rome.

As a gimmick, it is appealing. The story, however, is preposterous and the logical and factual gaffes are, at times, astounding. To take just one example: the protagonist, following clues laid down in the seventeenth century, is trying to discern a trail that leads from church to church in Rome. The trail, however, leads to a spot in Vatican City, and the protagonist is baffled, since it wouldn't make sense to have the trail lead to a church that wasn't in Rome but rather in Vatican City. But the solution to the mystery (which the author apparently never considered) is obvious: in the seventeenth century, there was no such thing as Vatican City -- it was all Rome! The accord with Italy that established the Vatican as a separate state was reached in the 1920s. In the seventeenth century, however, the entire city (along with most of central Italy) was run by the papacy.

Obviously, this is the kind of sloppy error that one would expect from a somewhat talented high schooler, not a best-selling author (I understand Brown made a similar error in "The DaVinci Code," where he depicts Opus Dei as a monastic order -- it isn't). Not that those errors (and there are many) detracted from the enjoyability of the book: the idiotic plot and the cliche-ridden, amateurish writing did that. Given those credentials, I expect that Hollywood is hard at work on a film version.

(One advantage, though, to reading "A&D" is that it permits one to understand candidone's avatar)
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 09:49 am
ye110man wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
Of course the book does have people asking all sorts of questions, which is why the Vaticam is pissed. God forbid they are challenged. Whether or not there is any truth to the book, the Catholic church does not look lightly or fondly on challenges regarding teaching and faith. I was raised Catholic.

It looks like the Church is challenging the book. And it looks like you don't look lightly or fondly upon that.

I am all for challenging the church. God did not create a brain in my head so that I could blindly follow something I don't believe in.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 09:58 am
ye110man wrote:

Anyway, having read the book. I honestly had to do a lot of post-reading research to see what was true and what wasn't. I know most people who read the book, won't bother to do the research. Just yesterday I had a friend tell me that he thought it was based on a true story. Unlike other fictional books, your Average Joe is actually believing the Da Vinci Code! And whether it's about Christianity or the Illuminati holding Elvis at Area 51, I'm on the side of the people attacking the wacky conspiracy theories.

I think that the book raises one important truth: the church is man made and fallible. There is the potential of error on the churches part. Whether or not this is the error is not the point in my opinion. And it is so sad that people take these things for face value instead of using the brain in their head.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 10:30 am
Dan Brown is a living example that, just about anyone can be a best selling author. I agree with soz and Chicago Joe that Browns writing skills are at best, high schoolish.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 12:32 pm
Uh, and me too.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 01:55 pm
oops. I believe it was osso who first stated that part about Brown being a baaaad writer. So I definately agrree with her.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 02:00 pm
Smiles...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 02:02 pm
Isn't Farmer Guy a gracious dude?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 02:14 pm
Yes!