a or an

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2018 04:29 pm
It was reported in the media that at a public feedback forum organized by government feedback unit REACH yesterday (21 Aug), National Development Minister Lawrence Wong now said that a HDB flat sold on a 99-year lease is an asset that will appreciate as the country prospers.

Shouldn't it be 'an' instead of 'a'?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,100 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2018 06:03 pm
Yes, it should be "an." The use of the indefinite article is always determined by the sound of the word which it precedes, no matter what part of speech that word is. So, one might say: "It was a day to remember, it was so awful."--but: "It was an awful, an unforgettable day." In both of those cases, "an" immediately precedes an adjective, but adjectives which begin with a vowel sound.

This is exactly the case in your quote. The acronym is used as a adjective, and begins with a vowel sound, so "an" is required.
tanguatlay

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2018 08:05 pm
@Setanta,
Thanks, Setanta, for the clear detailed reply.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2018 01:12 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Yes, it should be "an." The use of the indefinite article is always determined by the sound of the word which it precedes, no matter what part of speech that word is. So, one might say: "It was a day to remember, it was so awful."--but: "It was an awful, an unforgettable day." In both of those cases, "an" immediately precedes an adjective, but adjectives which begin with a vowel sound.

This is exactly the case in your quote. The acronym is used as a adjective, and begins with a vowel sound, so "an" is required.

Setanta is half right, or a 1/4 right, or ... .

Quote:

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/usage/a-historic-event-or-an-historic-event

People often believe that they should use the indefinite article an in front of words like historic, horrific, or hotel. Are they right or wrong? Should you say ‘an historic event’ or ‘a historic event’?

An is the form of the indefinite article that is used before a spoken vowel sound: it doesn’t matter how the written word in question is actually spelled. So, we say ‘an honour’, ‘an hour’, or ‘an heir’, for example, because the initial letter ‘h’ in all three words is not actually pronounced. By contrast we say ‘a hair’ or ‘a horse’ because, in these cases, the ‘h’ is pronounced.

Let’s go back to those three words that tend to cause problems: historic, horrific, and hotel. If hotel was pronounced without its initial letter ‘h’ (i.e. as if it were spelled ‘otel’), then it would be correct to use an in front of it. The same is true of historic and horrific. If horrific was pronounced ‘orrific’ and historic was pronounced ‘istoric’ then it would be appropriate to refer to ‘an istoric occasion’ or ‘an orrific accident’. In the 18th and 19th centuries, people often did pronounce these words in this way.

Today, though, these three words are generally pronounced with a spoken ‘h’ at the beginning and so it’s now more logical to refer to ‘a hotel’, ‘a historic event’, or ‘a horrific accident’.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2018 03:53 pm
The letter "h" is not pronounced with a "spoken h."

I will be reporting every one of your name-calling posts from now on. Maybe they'll send you on another little vacation.
ekename

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2018 08:19 pm
To say nothing of an ekename, a nekename, or a nickname, which is a okay with me.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2018 10:45 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
The letter "h" is not pronounced with a "spoken h."

You, as usual, don't know how every native English speaker pronounces anything and everything. Your brain seems to be permanently saddled with the silly grammar rules that granny or Sister Petra pounded into your brain.
hightor

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2018 06:27 am
@camlok,
I wonder if there's some flexibility with regard to spoken vs written language. I know that when I'm reading or writing I'll use "it was truly a historical event". But if I'm speaking I 'm apt to unconsciously drop the "h" and automatically say "it was truly an -istorical event".
camlok

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2018 12:18 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
I wonder if there's some flexibility with regard to spoken vs written language. I know that when I'm reading or writing I'll use "it was truly a historical event". But if I'm speaking I 'm apt to unconsciously drop the "h" and automatically say "it was truly an -istorical event".

Yes, hightor, there is flexibility. It's seen in the fact that there are different dialects. In speech these "rules" form simply from how lazy our tongues, lips, etc are. They move in a manner that uses the least effort and from this the "rules" are formed.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » a or an
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 09:01:56