The cost of neutering/spaying a dog

Linkat

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2018 11:25 am
I had received a quote of $650 - $750 to neuter my child's dog from our vet. It has been 8 years since I have been through this and I do not remember it being this expensive. The vet assured me it included the price of everything including an ID chip.

I realize that vets spend alot of time, money and hard work getting their education but it seemed pretty steep to me. And just sending my daughter off to college for another year - shelling out $700 is worth looking into.

So I want to be a responsible pet owner and realize there is a cost to caring appropriately for a pet, but like when I got what I thought was a steep estimate for my daughter's braces - I decided to just look.

I found a vet even closer to me that claims they do lower priced vet care. When I called they quoted me with chip just under $300 for everything. She said she wants to provide good care for pets that won't cause you to mortgage your home. She also is a small outfit and says that typically the vet hospitals charge more - their benefits are they obviously can offer more in the surgical care if your pet needs this.

On google she has 4.3 stars with all giving 5 stars except 2 that gave 1 star each. I am trying to read as much as I can - there were 3 very bad reviews on another site (of those one was the same as the other site) - and one looked like it was for the wrong business as it was a different vet name.

How do I make sure I get good service without paying too much?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,087 • Replies: 12
No top replies

engineer

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2018 11:30 am
@Linkat,
Try this link of ASPCA low cost clinics.

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/general-pet-care/low-cost-spayneuter-programs
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2018 12:13 pm
@Linkat,
Carumba! The last time I had this done (male cat) was in 2002. I think the price was under $100.00. No chip involved.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2018 12:14 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

The cost of neutering/spaying a dog

https://media.tenor.co/images/e6bec27c8458c7b428d08043976e5d84/tenor.gif
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2018 12:15 pm
@roger,
The difference in the cost between spaying and neutering is crazy. I get that it's a lot more invasive surgery for female pets but really ... crazy. It's generally about a 4:1 ratio around here.
Linkat

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2018 02:04 pm
@ehBeth,
Yeah it is a male dog - but I don't understand why the $700 amount - I asked for the chip and that is usually done when you spay or neuter. Maybe because I live in an area where there are some expensive neighborhoods?

I guess I was worried that this other vet might cut corners - I mean I want the dog taken care of - so $244 sounds reasonable? - I don't need the chip but for $41 yes I will have it done.

Two of the reviews scared me - because they were so low - but then all the others were 5 stars.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2018 02:15 pm
@Linkat,
For a male dog? that's nuts. The best places around here charge $250 - 400 (Canajun) including chip and nail-clipping. Def do the chip. It can be a literal life-saver.
Linkat

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2018 02:54 pm
@ehBeth,
so you wouldn't let a couple of bad reviews deter you from using this vet - the one charging $244 for the neuter?

I thought that $650 - $700 sounded high
ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2018 03:06 pm
@Linkat,
Do you have a neighbourhood facebook group you could check the vet out with? that's what I usually do. pretty much every place has pros/cons so I try to chat with someone who has used the service.
Linkat

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2018 03:43 pm
@ehBeth,
I know there is a local thingy - I thought it was a public forum but that seems old - I will try facebook when I get home.

I understand that pretty much everyone gets a bad review or two - you can never please everyone - it just is surgery so I don't want anything to happen to the little guy.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2018 09:33 pm
I paid $225 in Chicago at a very good vet just about 5 months ago. Male dog; no more testes.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2018 08:10 am
the ad for a decent local clinic just popped up on my FB

Vet clinic with quality spay neuter service at affordable rates!!
Puppy (DAPP)/Kitten (FVRCP) 1st, 2nd Vaccines with exam-$29
Adult cat/dog exam with DAPP/FVRCP & Rabies Vaccines-&39
Examination & consultation $39 (except weekends, holidays, afterhrs)
Heart worm & tick panel blood test -$29 with six month product purchase
Dental cleaning and polishing starting from $299
Feline neuter from $119, feline spay from $199
Canine neuter from $199,
Dog spays less than 10lbs and 1 year $299
Dog spays 10- 20lbs and less than 1 year $329.
Dog spays 20- 30lbs and less than 1 year $349
Dog spays more than one year and 30lbs, please call us
Pre-surgical blood work-$70
Microchip with implantation $29
Linkat

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2018 08:28 am
@ehBeth,
Funny I haven't done it yet - I have been debating paying the extra for the blood work. I would have never overthought this before. I asked a friend who has had several pets and goes to a vet in the same town where this particular vet moved from - not her prior vet as she has a family member that works at the expensive one she goes to --- she gets a family discount.

Any way after over thinking this - I think I am going to get the blood work. My friend said sometimes paying out the extra money is worth it for your own comfort. I mean we paid $1k for the little monster - only because my daughter paid half.

I told everyone we get another dog - he is going to be adopted and not a puppy - the first year is so expensive and then all the training. Then if you adopt you also get to brag how you rescued a dog rather than "bought" one.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The cost of neutering/spaying a dog
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/11/2024 at 04:21:40