New Version Free Opera Brower is Cool!

cobalt

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 10:58 am
Another new venture: I had been using Opera as a browser off and on for about 8 months at a local library. I really enjoyed the speed, but there were certain website that were not accepting all the routing, and all html versions are not necessarily accepted with Opera.

However! The new version, free Opera 6.5, has fixed and improved almost everything! It is usefull because as it advertises - "the fastest browser on earth". Even faster than Mozilla.

I was surprised to hear comments about this forum being very fast - posts were accepted quickly, but moving around in the forum was going slowly for me. THEN, this morning I opened up the Net with Opera, in lieu my usual IE and lo and behold - it's incredibly fast here now!!!!

I also took the free email account with opera to check it out. It's very simple without lots of bells and whistles - but, fast can be a top priority! I am considering taking up on the Premium Upgrade special in email - 25 MG for $15 for one year, other pluses.

The download took me about 10 minutes tops, through cdnet.com - to check this out, go to OperaOpera
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,440 • Replies: 11
No top replies

jeanbean

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 11:16 am
cobalt,
I have heard that it doesn't bring in all sites, before.
Now, that problem is solved.
I might try it out, when I get a bigger HD.
SOON.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 11:29 am
Cobalt

Thanks for the info on Opera. Before seeing this topic I had never heard of it. It sounds good. Maybe I'll switch although I wonder if MSN.com, which I am currently *stuck with, is compatible.
I guess I have some homework to do on this.

* I'm 'indentured to MSN because I took the bait -ie. a $400 rebate on my last computer in exchange for a 3 yr. agreement.
Fortunately I only have a few months remaining on my sentence.
Maybe I can get Microsoft to give me time off for good behavior!
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 06:15 pm
you are funny, jjorge! I feel like I know you a bit, since you met my fellow Crone Patty not long ago!

I have IE and Opera both on my PC right now. I ditched Netscape about two months ago, since Netscape and Windows ME never did solve the glitch about ME not being able to install Netscape. (What a monumental gaff!)

I am still playing around with both browsers. For speed, and basic searches, Opera, hands down is a speed demon! Wow! I have a cable modem and I would never have thought that there could be such a difference! Both the Opera browser and the MyWay.com portal are featuring monitor/status bars that tell you every second it takes for the page to come in. Most pages I am getting in less than 10 seconds. Some, take only 2 or 3 seconds!

Another thing nice on Opera, the bookmarks import straight from your IE Favorites off the File menu. Mine were imported in about 8 seconds - and I have maybe a thousand there! The file folders Opera already has set up for you do include some great sites. For instance, the Science Folder Opera provides has direct links to Geographic, Discover, New Scientist, etc.!

I have only run into one possible issue - on the 'secure' sites I use for some financial transactions, to me it looks like I will have to set up my own new "cookies" with Opera. I can get into the sites as usual, but to make a transfer or pay a bill in Opera, there is a hang up. I am just sure it needs to be online enough with me to develop any needed 'cookies'.

Today I couldn't get into abuzz through Opera - will have to check to see if I am going to have to have that NYTimes cookie set for me in Opera, as it is in IE.

Will keep you and others interested posted.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 06:44 pm
BTW I don't recommend that basic computer users try to change their default browser. Not saying anyone here's basic but just a warning.

But I agree with cobalt. Opera is a very fast browser. I hate it with a passion for reasons too technical to go into right now but it's the lightest browser of the big players.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 02:25 pm
Craven - would the picky picky need for "proper" html or other code be one of the reasons you aren't thrilled? I do love Opera, but used in very particular ways for my Net experience. For instance, I haven't got the 'cookies' set up so I can do some of my secure site transactions.

On your comment about 'default' browser - I put the Opera ON MY DESKTOP as I would recommend for any user. I did not and would not "make Opera my default browser" as all browsers like to pop up in a window and nudge you....

This means that when I log on, I choose each time whether to use IE or Opera. I did not even make IE a defaul browser- I like the 'control' of deciding each time.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 02:36 pm
What bothers me about opera (I explained a bit about this on another thread) is the fact that there is no such thing as proper syntax.

There are established guidelines (by the WCC) but since neither IE or Netscape follow them it's dumb to code for them and better to write code that will work on IE.

Opera doesn't follow them very well either and worse yet they are terrible at "degrading gracefully". It's a good broswer, but it's also just one more buggy browser to code for.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 02:43 pm
I agree with you Craven! I would always want to code for IE and monitors at 800 x 600 and use the standard universal hex color codes.

I found an interesting tidbit about the Preferences options in the File section of Opera: you can 'select' what you wish your browser to register as when you access any site! I think maybe it is because Opera programming is well aware of the areas it is not as "up to speed" as other browsers. Interestingly, this new 6.05 version I have (ther freebie) only goes to IE 5.0, not 5.5 like I have. And there is no 6.0. I think that Netscape is also an older version listed. Mozilla is listed even. Hmmmmmm, my brain is working overtime to come up with reasons I may want to 'switch around' or not when using Opera....

Like Craven says "KIDS! Don't do this at home...." LOL

(Oh heck, he didn't really say that)
I would not recommend that users who are relatively new to the Net and computers use Opera. Too fast! AND, to use it in a most positive way, it is a great tool for the right endeavor - meaning, you must be fairly experienced to get the most out of having it as an accessory browser.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 02:49 pm
BTW I always code for ALL brower/OS mixes that are popularly used. I don't just code for IE but that's the easiest thing to do.

This site lost some features because I had to think about the Opera users and that's one reason I don't like new players in the browser war. There was a neat fade link effect that I was using that Opera coudn't parse so it had to go.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 09:37 pm
Well,
You folks have convinced THIS computer novice to hold off on Opera.

Cobalt
re your post of 10/3002 7:15 pm:

I'll take crones to be my cronies anytime.
0 Replies

shinemolu

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 08:20 am
thank you
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 08:43 am
opera is a great browser. i don't use it anymore.

the thing that is best about it is how easy it is to zoom in and out, pictures and layout included. i forget which two keys it is, but maybe 0 and minus. it also has an autorefresh which is great.

there are lots of cool things about opera. unfortunately, it used to crash when i used it at the same time as certain apps, and i came to like foss alternatives more and more. if opera goes foss, i'll be sure to give it another try.

i'm pretty happy without it, but for a while i really missed opera. people should try it, particularly as an alternative (i never said replacement for default) to internet explorer.
0 Replies