Is it time to end the US Postal Service?

Sturgis

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2018 01:13 pm
@maxdancona,
Once again max, not everybody is computerized. Odds are, there will always be a a being of the world's population which will not have computer skills and at times segments of computer literate folks without a computer, smartphone or access to such. For them, the regular old mail is and will be the way to go.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2018 01:20 pm
There's a lot of misleading bullshit in this thread. According to NPR, they lost $2,700,000,000+ last year, not five billion. Since 2006, the USPS has been required to pay forward more than $5,000,000,000 each year into employee pension health plans--something not even Social Security does.

Instead of relying on whatever members here want to throw out there, try this Thought-Company-dot-com article.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2018 01:21 pm
@maxdancona,
The USPS has a monopoly in name only. The Postal Service clearly has competition both directly in terms of companies like Fed Ex and indirectly through email. They also don't have the ability to use "monopolistic pricing" to set prices at higher than what the market would normally support since postal rates are set by Congress. If the Postal Service was a true monopoly, the first thing they would do would be to raise rates. The second would be to cut service to all areas they deem not profitable. Many of those areas are the same areas that do not have reliable cell phone service or cable access for high speed Internet.
maporsche

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2018 01:27 pm
@engineer,
Max lives in the Northeast where he may not understand that in other parts of the country things like "cell phone coverage" and "high speed internet" are not always readily available.

My in-laws live in northern Wisconsin. They have 1MBPS internet (which in reality is less than half that), have never thought of watching Netflix and surfing the internet is a test in patience. When I visit there, I lose cell phone coverage about 2 hours from their home and won't have it the duration of my visit.

I suppose these people are not to be given any cares to.
0 Replies