America's Greatest Man Of Letters

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 11:38 pm
Gore Vidal is America's greatest man of letters. He has written 22 novels, over 200 essays, a brilliant autobiography, screenplays, Broadway hits, and some of the finest political commentary ever written by an American. His latest book DREAMING WAR is an all-out attack on what Vidal calls the "Cheney-Bush junta." Long may Gore thrive!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,399 • Replies: 7
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 06:03 am
I have variously loved Vidal and been bored by him. I don't see that a single author could be realistically dubbed "greatest".
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 07:19 am
my list of "Greatest" has about 10 authors on it that varies by my mood, age, temperment and life circumstances.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 10:25 am
Fair enough, Dyslexia. But "man of letters" is a different category from "writer." I am proposing that Vidal is our greatest man of letters because he shines in so many categories of literature.
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 10:38 pm
Larry, as a matter of curiosity, how would you fit John Updike into the man of letters picture?

I know Vidal only by having read a handful of his essays. All of which I enjoyed.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 11:25 pm
Greatest man of letters? Hmm, I know some-one with ONE letter....

http://www.abeshaus.com/images/sesame-street/cookie-monster/coloring-book.jpg

I seem to remember it was 'C'
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2003 12:49 pm
Hazlitt, I dislike Updike's writing so perhaps I am not a fair judge. He is not a bad short story writer. His novels have usually left me unimpressed. I don't think he is a good literary critic or essayist. In general I find that Updike overwrites, calling attention to his own style in a way that I find irritating. He is not, to me, a first-rate writer.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2003 12:49 pm
Hazlitt, I dislike Updike's writing so perhaps I am not a fair judge. He is not a bad short story writer. His novels have usually left me unimpressed. I don't think he is a good literary critic or essayist. In general I find that Updike overwrites, calling attention to his own style in a way that I find irritating. He is not, to me, a first-rate writer.
0 Replies