Share some of your favorite hip hop memories and stories

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 11:34 pm
I was first introduced to rap music in 1979. At the time I was just entering my teen years. There was this new thing called rap coming out of New York. Since I didn't live in New York, I didn't know what Rap was at that time. At that time someone had explained to me that rap was people talking and rhyming over music. At that time someone also told me that it was coming out of New York and that people were saying that it wouldn't last because it was only a fad. I think a few weeks later I first heard the song Rappers Delight by the Sugar Hill Gang for the first time on the radio. This was the first time I or people in my hometown had heard Rap music. The song got a lot of airplay in my hometown. Rappers delight became a big hit. All of us kids in my neighborhood learn and knew all the lyrics of the song. At this time there was only one rap song by one rap group in existence in my hometown in 1979. Later that same year there was the second rap song we ever heard release. That song was called Funk You Up by a female rap group called The Sequence. This song also got a lot of air play where we lived. We learned and knew all the lyrics to this song. The song was also a hit. At this time there were only two rap songs that existed in my world in 1979. It was so new, that rap music wasn't even big enough to be called it's own genre of music. Two songs don't make it a genre.

During this era rap singles were released on 12 inch records. Back in those days vinyl records were 45rpm which were singles and 33rpm which were albums. 12 inch singles were something entirely different and was unique to early rap singles. 12 inch vinyl records were the size of 33's/albums, but rotated at the speed of 45's singles. You basically had an album size single played at the 45rpm speed. An album size single with one song on side A and one song on side B. At this time the 12 inch record was unique to rap music.

In my hometown in 1979 I had not yet heard the term Hip Hop. I only knew the term hip hop only as a phrase or a hook repeated in the song Rappers Delight. Nothing more than a hook in the song. So, in my hometown at that time it was called rap music. It would be a few years later before I started to hear the term hip hop or hip hop culture. This is how I remember it in my hometown in 1979. I have many more hip hop stories and memories that followed from 1979 all the way into 1990s. I do plan on sharing more of my hip hop stories and memories. Hip Hop fans of different generations and different cities will have their own individual hip hop stories and memories. Please feel free to share your stories. The music, the fashion, the language, break dancing, DJs, mixing, videos, rapping, movies, television, etc.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,852 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2018 04:22 pm
@Real Music,
I remember in 1980 the Sugar Hill Gang came out with their second single "Eighth Wonder." I remember Kurtis Blow coming out with his first single "The Breaks." I remember Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five coming out with their first single "Freedom." Those singles were all hits where I grew up. Rap music was still in its infancy stage. In 1980 there were only a handful of rap songs being played on the radio, because at that time there were not that many rap songs in existence.

Then 1981 a few more rap groups started releasing singles. There were groups such as the Treacherous Three, Dr. Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde, Funky Four plus One. Those rap groups were more or less a continuation of the rap groups that came out before them. Up to that point, rap styles hasn't really changed.

In the same year 1981 hip hop music was about to go through a major change. In 1981 the group Kraftwerk had released the singles "Numbers" and "Computer World." Those two songs "Numbers" and "Computer World" was our introduction to this new electronic style music. Both of those songs were huge hits in my hometown. Also, during this same era Kraftwerk had released a single called "Trans Europe Express." These songs were hits in Hip hop for hip hop fans. The Kraftwerk sound could be described as computerized, electronic, or robotic. This new electronic sound was such a big thing in the hip hop community that it had spawned off a whole new era and sound in hip hop music. This new electronic sound was the primary style of hip hop music for the next two or maybe three years

This electronic hip hop spawned off many songs and new groups during this brief era in hip hop. Some of those songs included "Planet Rock" by Afrika Bambaataa and the Soul Sonic Force. There was "Pac Jam" by the Jonzun Crew. There was "Looking For The Perfect Beat" by Afrika Bambaataa & the Soul Sonic Force. There was "Play At Your Own Risk" by Planet Patrol. There was "Jam On It" by Nucleus. There was "I.O.U." by Freeez. There was "Pop Goes Your Love" by Freeez.

There were many more electronic style hip hop released in this brief era of hip hop. This electronic era of hip hop started around 1981 and continued to maybe 1983 or 1984. I myself now call that particular music electronic hip hop. That's just the name I use to describe that particular music. At that time I seem to remember that we didn't have a name for that type of music. I do remember that it was the most common music used for break dancing during time.
Real Music

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2018 09:08 pm
@Real Music,
I seem to remember approximately 1983, I heard the local radio DJ in my hometown playing music on the radio in a way they had not done before that moment. This is when electronic hip was the most played hip hop on the radio. One day in approximately 1983 I heard continuous play of electronic hip hop songs with no pause between the songs. There were two or more songs being played on top of each other and overlapping each other. Sometimes fading in, sometimes fading out, and sometimes played at the same time. In my hometown, around 1983, the local radio DJs were "mixing. " That was the first time I was exposed to local radio DJs "mixing".
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2019 12:43 am
Sugarhill Gang - Rapper's Delight (1979)
with Lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjE4Vxe5-Ak
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2019 12:47 am
The Sequence - "Funk You Up"
(1979)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flG4hOD3wZk
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2019 12:57 am
Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five - "Freedom"
(1980)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEZbJEoM01c
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2019 01:02 am
The Breaks - Kurtis Blow (1980)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avyd1eY98-4
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2019 01:14 am
Treacherous Three - Feel the heartbeat - (1981)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk_DBrjtH0s
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2019 01:27 am
Kraftwerk - Numbers / Computer World
(1982)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Sbvylpwah8
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2019 01:34 am
The Jonzun Crew - Pack Jam
(1982)