3
   

I will use it for my mental and accomplishment?

 
 
SMickey
 
Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2018 10:35 am
Hi.

While writing about stress, one of my friends wrote,
"I will use stress appropriately for my mental and accomplishment."

Upon seeing it, there is something strange in it, I thought.

I guess what he meant by that is,
"I will use stress in a positive way so that it can help me achieve
mental growth and gain bigger achievements."

Do you, native speakers, also use 'mental' as a noun?

Urban dictionary defines it as

-the way you think, act or feel about towards things.

A : Man, he doesn't give a sh*t about anything.
B : Yeah, I wish I had his mental.

I would've told my friend that 'my mental' is awkward
as 'mental' is an adjective if I hadn't seen the definition
Urban dictionary showed me.

According to the Urban dictionary's explanation,
I guess what my friend wrote also could be correct?

How do you like my friend's sentence?
It still does need some correction, doesn't it?

Please share your thoughts.
Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 890 • Replies: 6
No top replies

 
View best answer, chosen by SMickey
roger
 
  1  
Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2018 10:51 am
@SMickey,
SMickey wrote:



While writing about stress, one of my friends wrote,
"I will use stress appropriately for my mental and accomplishment."

This just doesn't make sense.

Quote:
"I will use stress in a positive way so that it can help me achieve
mental growth and gain bigger achievements."
This does.

Quote:
Do you, native speakers, also use 'mental' as a noun?

I've never seen that.
0 Replies
 
InfraBlue
  Selected Answer
 
  2  
Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2018 11:07 am
@SMickey,
SMickey wrote:

Urban dictionary defines it as

-the way you think, act or feel about towards things.

A : Man, he doesn't give a sh*t about anything.
B : Yeah, I wish I had his mental.

I would've told my friend that 'my mental' is awkward
as 'mental' is an adjective if I hadn't seen the definition
Urban dictionary showed me.

It's the vernacular of certain socio-economic populations from which much slang arises to mean "mentality."
0 Replies
 
PUNKEY
 
  1  
Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2018 11:53 am
To “go mental” is quite common.

That guy went mental when he saw his ex with another man.

I’m going mental about those new shoes.

Are you going mental about your car not starting?

farmerman
 
  1  
Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2018 01:22 pm
@PUNKEY,
yeh, what he said
0 Replies
 
farmerman
 
  1  
Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2018 01:24 pm
@PUNKEY,
I went mental when MY mom-in-law drove my brand new car off the cliff. Insurance didnt cover a new one.
SMickey
 
  1  
Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2018 07:59 am
@farmerman,
For real? I'm sorry.
0 Replies
 
 

 
  1. Forums
  2. » I will use it for my mental and accomplishment?
Copyright © 2022 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 11/30/2022 at 02:19:25