Apartment Bldg. dilemma- any suggestions?

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2018 12:55 am
Need some suggestions with this...Daughter has a triplex apt. bldg. The water line to the laundry room, for some reason, is connected to apt A's water...the last tenant who moved in (apt. B) had a brand new washer and dryer, and worked out an arrangement w/ that tenant in A to let him use the machines in trade for the small amount of water that was added to his account. Now, it's important to know, a separate line would cost about $700 to put in (plumber, permits). We do not want to do this. NOW a new renter has taken apt A. She wants some compensation from both the other apts for the extra water she is paying for in their use of the machines. How would you suggest handling this with the three tenants? We could just reduce her rent by a small amount but, is that fair for us to pay for the water for all three tenants?

engineer

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2018 05:16 am
@visceral,
The common sense answer is to suck up the $700 bill. The next thing would be to raise rent for B and C to account for the water they use then credit A. The last thing is to tell A that the terms of the rent include paying the water bill and it's factored into the rent. Assuming your were above board with the situation when the new tenet signed the contract, that is a true statement.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2018 05:58 am
A water meter could be attached to the laundry room line that would measure usage there. Then deduct from A’s bill, then divide by 3 and add to all units’ bills.

Even if you spend the $700 for the new line, how will you collect from all three units?
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2018 06:56 am
@visceral,
Rely upon the rental contract.

If it says that they pay for the water then let them fight it out, oops I mean negotiate an arrangement.

Get whet over water
Don't fret unless you oughta
Faucet with a metered cock
To avoid a nasty shock

If you can't get it off of the thread
And you can't get it out of your head
And the laundry ain't done instead
Cos you can't get over what you just said

Oh no , no, no.

Linkat

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2018 11:27 am
Cannot help at this point, but in the future when you write up the next rental agreements - why not just pay the water bill yourself and up the monthly rental by the average monthly water usage.

I rented before and I never paid a separate water bill. I just paid the rent and then had my own other utilities (electric/heat/phone). Water was included as part of my rent.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2018 12:34 pm
@visceral,
visceral wrote:
but, is that fair for us to pay for the water for all three tenants?

is it fair for A to have to cover the water for laundry for the other tenants? no, not at all

__

suck up the cost of getting the water lines set up properly

should have been done before the very first tenant came in
ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2018 12:35 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
I rented before and I never paid a separate water bill. I just paid the rent and then had my own other utilities (electric/heat/phone). Water was included as part of my rent.

true

that's the standard here as well
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2018 01:50 pm
@ehBeth,
here, here!
0 Replies

visceral

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2018 05:35 pm
@laughoutlood,
Your suggestion is the best, they can figure it out...I told her up front that the deal was the use of the machines.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Apartment Bldg. dilemma- any suggestions?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 02:13:47