New Scam Call?

seac

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2018 03:55 pm
It is happening again. Another scam phone call. This time from somebody claiming to be from Social Security Office and saying that my number has been used for illegal activities. I looked up the caller's number and it goes to a residence in Texas. I guess this guy is phishing for SS numbers using phone numbers of random people.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,154 • Replies: 13
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2018 05:28 pm
Im getting calls that I have a warrant out for my arrest and if I don’t call back immediately, officers will be at my home to put me in jail. Calls from Minnesota and Texas.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2018 07:08 pm
@seac,
Stop trusting the alleged area code attached on these phishing calls. They can easily be spoofed to seem they are coming from inside the country. Most likely, they are not.
Linkat

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2018 10:56 am
@PUNKEY,
Next time say if it is for my husband/wife come on and pick them up.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2018 12:21 pm
@Linkat,
My husband answered the phone a few days ago and got his first 'Grandpa? It's me,(husband) what?? (scammer) Its me grandpa (husband) who??? (scammer) grandpa, you sound confused, don't you remember me (husband) laughs, no I'm not confused, I have a grand daughter but she's 7 (scammer) CLICK
Ragman

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2018 04:57 am
@glitterbag,
Priceless. But was it possibly a confused wrong number?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2018 05:05 am
@tsarstepan,
My sister claims that she got one of those calls who spoofed her own telephone 📞 number. I don’t see how that would be technically possible but I do know they often select a number in your own area code as well as same exchange. The call still may be generated from an overseas spammer. There ought to be a law, fercrustsakes!
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2018 08:39 am
Quote:
Justice Department Breaks Up Vast I.R.S. Phone Scam

With stiff sentences for 21 conspirators last week in the United States and a round of
indictments in India, the Justice Department says it has broken up what appeared to be
the nation’s first large-scale, multinational telephone fraud operation.

Over four years, more than 15,000 victims in the United States lost “hundreds of millions”
of dollars to the sophisticated scam, and more than 50,000 individuals had their personal
information misused, the department said Friday. The money was routed through call
centers in India back to the ringleaders in eight states.

The fraudulent calls came suddenly and frequently while the scam was active from 2012 to
2016, according to court documents. A person posing as an Internal Revenue Service or
immigration official was on the phone, threatening arrest, deportation or other penalties
if the victims did not immediately pay their debts with prepaid cards or wire transfers.

[ snip ]

In the announcement on Friday, the department said 21 people living in eight states —
Illinois, Arizona, Florida, California, Alabama, Indiana, New Jersey and Texas — were
sentenced last week in Houston to prison for up to 20 years for their role in the scheme.
(NYT)
Ragman

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2018 11:21 am
@Region Philbis,
Jeez...it only took them 4 years.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2018 11:17 pm
@Ragman,
I’ve gotten a few calls on the landline from the landline number (even displays my husband’s name). It’s usually my windows tech Chuck, Skip, Bill, Allen with the pakastani accent. Your sister didn’t imagine it.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2018 06:13 am
@glitterbag,
Are landlines worth the pain, the expense, and aggravation anymore?
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2018 06:49 am
@tsarstepan,

during the dark ages before cell phones, we had those cordless landline phones.

that was all well and good until the power went out.

when it did, we would take our old cord phone out of the junk drawer and plug it
into the phone jack to make our WTF call to the power company...
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2018 09:01 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yes, especially if you want to call someone in the middle of a power outage. And yes, we get power outages. Plus some of those nuisance calls are coming in on my cellphone so...it doesn’t matter...thieves will find a way.
Linkat

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2018 08:51 am
@glitterbag,
Yes it doesn't matter whether you have a landline or cellphone - I get scam messages on both. The difference I gotta answer my cellphone because it is a business phone whereas if I get a call on the landline unless I know who is calling I do not pick up.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » New Scam Call?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 05:16:00