What do you do when a spouse tries to monitor all you eat and do?

Ragman

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2018 08:25 am
@Linkat,
Quote:
I have before told him I took care of myself for over 30 years before I met you and was successful.

This response might be interpreted as defensive on your part, too. Perhaps a more positive way would be saying that you thank him for his concern and that you will keep it in mind. Underscore how you know how concerned you BOTH are based on his family's health problems.
livinglava

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2018 02:21 pm
It sounds like the husband is frustrated at all the people in his life that have not done enough to prevent health problems for themselves, diet-wise, so he is trying to police others and get them to do better. The best way to relieve him of this responsibility he feels is to prove to him that you are just as concerned with using diet for health-prevention as he is. If he doesn't go to the doctor and you do, he may think you are deferring responsibility to the doctor instead of doing all you can to optimize your own health. You can talk to him about this not being your reason for going to the doctor, i.e. that you are totally committed to being your first line of defense against health problems, and that a strong offense is the best defense. When he sees that you are as vigilant as he is, he will feel relieved that he is not the only person in the family who sees the possibility and importance of using diet to prevent health problems. Then, if your meal choice differs from what he considers healthy, you just explain to him why you saw it as a healthy choice and ask him why, for example, he is so afraid of a little tortellini when it is part of an overall health-conscious diet.
0 Replies

kateknow

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2018 04:08 am
I think your husband just concern about your health. Is he health conscious? Maybe he is thinking that it is better to sacrifice some healthy habits than having a hospital bills. But if there is no reason at all then you have to ask him why he is doing that to you.
Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2018 11:22 am
@Ragman,
Of course it was - and out of frustrated. I certainly am grown up enough to realize it that is why I said afterwards...

Quote:
Though as self satisfying as saying something like that in moment feels good, it really accomplishes nothing.
Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2018 11:26 am
@kateknow,
Yeah that is the point - I am health conscience. I do not obsess over it, but I eat healthy - I could go over the typical menu items I have but won't other than say at a high level I eat more vegan like although I do eat meat, chicken and fish - just significantly more veggies. I love veggies and will order a veggie burger or similar over a regular meat burger for instance.

He is just moving into the obsessive part.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2018 05:57 am
@Linkat,
That was not me that said that.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2018 10:31 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Quote:
I have before told him I took care of myself for over 30 years before I met you and was successful.

This response might be interpreted as defensive on your part, too. Perhaps a more positive way would be saying that you thank him for his concern and that you will keep it in mind. Underscore how you know how concerned you BOTH are based on his family's health problems.

This was my own quote I had in response to what you stated above
Ragman

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2018 11:52 am
@Linkat,
Wow! I had no idea that my comment warrant that sort of response. I meant no ill will toward you and in any way ore did I think you weren't either grown up or competent. Peace.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/08/2024 at 12:40:00