Where your friend neighbor offend you, that you are declaring you are cutting of relations with them

iandu76

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2018 03:13 am
Hello friends. Please, I need an expression or a phrase, even if it is an idiom (to make it stylish) commonly used by English native speakers to express a situation where your friend or your neighbor offend you so much that you are declaring to them in (a threatening way) you wish to have no more interaction with them or that they should know you are severing/cutting off any further relation or interaction with them. I hope my explanation is not too long and confusing, if it is pardon me please, I only try to explain the scenario as much as I should. Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,159 • Replies: 13

iandu76

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2018 04:54 am
@iandu76,
(To make it more straight) In my native language we say "Ba ni ba kai!" whose English literal equivalence is "No me no you" which I wonder if say so (the " No me no you!") could communicate such expression easily to English native speakers. Thanks for your time.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2018 04:57 am
@iandu76,
I think the proper term in English for that situation is "**** off!". This is vulgar, but it gets the point across. I can't think of anything else I would say except the slightly less vulgar "Go to Hell".

Not every idiom has a direct counterpart in another language.
0 Replies

iandu76

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2018 05:22 am
(To make it more straight) In my native language we say "Ba ni ba kai!" whose English literal equivalence is "No me no you" which I wonder if I say so (the " No me no you!") could communicate such expression easily to English native speakers, could it?. Thanks for your time.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2018 05:41 am
@iandu76,
I don't not believe that there is any idiom in English that directly matches that idiom.

If someone yelled "no me no you" at me, I would be confused, and I would likely laugh. If someone yelled "go to hell, I am done with you!"... I would get the message.
PUNKEY

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2018 06:08 am
Why do you need a cute idiom to sever relations with another person.

You simply need to tell them to “back off and get out of my ( our) life”

Stop discussions with them. Ignore their actions and presence.
iandu76

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2018 06:25 am
@PUNKEY,
Good observation but I don't really mean I would do that. I employed that to make the scenario easily understood and to add to my English vocabulary just in case or when making up a story in which such situation is meaningfully or reasonably imagined and justified.

To make it more clear, in my native language we say "Ba ni ba kai!" as an empty threat to show one's anger or dissatisfaction on how unfair one has been treated and its' English literal equivalence is "No me no you" which I wonder if say I so (the "No me no you!") could communicate such expression easily to English native speakers, could it?.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2018 07:09 am
"You're dead to me!"
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2018 08:55 am
I'm putting you on ignore.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2018 08:56 am
@iandu76,
iandu76 wrote:
(a threatening way)

oh

ignore isn't a threatening way

__

there doesn't seem to be an English idiom that quite suits what you are looking for
iandu76

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2018 06:40 am
@ehBeth,
Thank you for all your contribution, it has been noted.
0 Replies

iandu76

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2018 11:53 am
@maxdancona,
Thanks for the clarification.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2018 12:09 pm
@iandu76,
I actually understand this from the other side.

I speak Spanish as a second language and spend quite a bit of time in Mexico. My Spanish is almost fluent, but there are times when I am not sure how to convey the exact feeling I want to express.

There are things that are very easy to express in English that are difficult in Spanish. In English say "I am looking forward to ..... " quite a bit. I will tell someone "I am looking forward to seeing you again", or "I am really looking forward to your party." This has a very specific emotional meaning in English... it signifies something I expect will make me happy, and I use it to make the other person feel good.

There is no idiom to convey the same feeling in Spanish... this is something I feel is missing Wink I am sure that this is true in any two languages; things that are easy to say in one language are difficult in another.

0 Replies

iandu76

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2018 12:28 pm
I don't know any word that can convey the gratitude I feel for all your invaluable contributions than to say "THANK YOU". I think I have more than what I expected, which really solved my problem. Going through the suggested phrases and sentences (of about 10, including ones I got from stackexchange.com site, which was once recommended to me by a good helper here, like you), I can now express myself confidently in a variety of different alternative ways, thanks to you all for your time and the ideas.
Surprisingly, I know all of the words that appeared in the suggestions, but I did not know how to construct them into such phrases and sentences to express what I wanted until now. This is probably because I did not grow up speaking it, hence sites like this one come handy, something all my other (re)sources i.e. Dictionaries including bilingual ones both online and offline could not give me.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Where your friend neighbor offend you, that you are declaring you are cutting of relations with them
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 06:28:49