Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 10:21 am
cjhsa

You may find they have a very tight hole. :wink:
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 01:53 pm
My turn to growl!

GRRRRR!

Self employed, subcontractor, and employee of sole proprietorship! Dang! This is way too complicated. Too manyirons in too many fires.

Why couldn't I just have a regular job?

Notes to self: Call accountant. Get a real job.

FICA SUCKS, BIGTIME!

Okay. I think I'm finished.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 01:54 pm
I just sent my federal in today....

Damn the man...taking my money....I got ripped this year.....as if they don't take enough of my money during the year, they gotta take more later!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 01:56 pm
au1929 wrote:
I did it the old fashioned way. Gave it to my accountant. Sent in a month ago.
Note watch out for the {AMT } Alternative minimum tax. It was enacted to make sure the rich pay their share or at least some of their share but in now impacting the middle class taxpayers.

Got me this year. F'in IRS....... Mad

Last year, we got back money from both federal and state...this year, tiny little state return and pay in on federal. Mad
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 02:04 pm
The AMT takes back what the tax cuts give.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 02:17 pm
A Tax Increase That Bush Didn't Mention

By EDMUND L. ANDREWS

Published: April 10, 2005
WASHINGTON

CYNICS have long predicted that the Bush administration, plagued by budget deficits, will eventually start raising taxes. But now it is becoming clear how it would do so: the alternative minimum tax.

Baffling in its complexity and often bizarre in its impact, the alternative minimum tax is a giant undeclared tax increase that will ensnare tens of millions of moderate-income families in the next several years.

It was created in 1969 to prevent the very rich from using tax deductions to avoid paying a fair share of taxes. But when the deadline for filing income tax returns arrives on Friday, the alternative minimum tax will require 2.9 million families to pay an average of about $6,000 more than what they would owe under traditional calculations

That is just the start. If current law remains unchanged, the alternative minimum tax is expected to wring an extra $33.9 billion from 18 million households in 2006. In 2010, it will rake in an additional $100 billion, and by 2015 an extra $200 billion.

Make no mistake: no one says they want that to happen. But it is one thing to rein in or eliminate the tax itself, and an entirely different matter to give up the money that it would generate.

President Bush has promised to fix the alternative minimum tax as part a fundamental overhaul of the tax code, and he has ordered a bipartisan advisory panel to come up with recommendations by the end of July.

But in giving the panel its marching orders, White House officials made it clear that they are counting on the extra money regardless of what happens to the alternative tax. Under the president's instructions, the panel's recommendations on addressing the alternative minimum tax are supposed to be "revenue neutral," neither raising nor lowering taxes, and to assume that his income-tax cuts will be made permanent rather than expire in 2010, as required under current law.

Making those ordinary income-tax cuts permanent would reduce the amount of available revenue by about $1.8 trillion over 10 years. But White House officials told the panel that any change to reduce or eliminate the alternative minimum tax would have to be offset by higher taxes someplace else.

"My understanding is that any reform in the A.M.T. that loses money would have to be made up with offsetting revenue," said Elizabeth Garrett, a panel member and a professor of law at the University of Southern California.

Jeffrey F. Kupfer, executive director of the tax panel and a former Treasury official, confirmed that interpretation. "Our mandate is to be revenue-neutral, and we are interpreting that with respect to the president's policy baseline, which does not include a permanent fix to the A.M.T.," he said in an interview last week.

Tax experts have long complained that the alternative minimum tax is a "stealth tax increase," one that Congress never intended and that is likely to catch millions of taxpayers by surprise. But a tax increase through tax reform could be even stealthier. If the alternative tax is reduced, the offsetting revenue increases are likely to be buried in so many other changes that most people would never know what hit them.

Seen or unseen, the looming tax increases are almost as large as the president's tax cuts. Leonard E. Burman, a senior fellow at the Urban Institute, estimated that the government would have to raise ordinary income tax rates substantially in every bracket to offset the money lost in each bracket by the elimination of the alternative minimum tax. People in today's 28 percent bracket, for example, would have to pay a top rate of 35 percent. Those who now pay a top rate of 33 percent would pay 41.4 percent.

"The A.M.T. is a huge tax increase built into current law," Mr. Burman said. "What the current law assumes is that over time we move to a tax that is much less progressive, that has atrocious marriage penalties and penalizes people with children who live in high-tax states."

The huge looming tax increase is caused by two things. The first is that the exclusion level for the alternative minimum tax is not adjusted for inflation, so the tax affects more people each year as nominal incomes go up. The second, paradoxically, stems from Mr. Bush's tax cuts of 2001 and 2003.

Those cuts reduced regular tax rates at all income levels but did not change the alternative minimum tax. At the same time, some of the cuts came in the form of expanded deductions - the child tax credit, child care tax credits and bigger exemptions for married couples - that are not allowed under the alternative formula.

The effect of making Mr. Bush's ordinary income tax cuts permanent would be significant. Mr. Burman, at the Urban Institute, estimated that the alternative minimum tax would generate about $69.2 billion in extra tax revenue in 2015 if the president's income tax cuts expired on schedule. But if the White House persuaded Congress to make the cuts permanent, the alternative minimum tax would raise a staggering $200.8 billion in that one year.

If the A.M.T. itself is pared back, how would that tax increase show up in practice? The possibilities are almost limitless, from higher tax rates for everybody to the abolition of popular tax deductions.

You Can Read the Rest HERE
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 02:32 pm
squinney
And who does the AMT impacts the most? The middle income wage earner. All of the people who were under the impression that Bush cut your taxes are in for an unwelcome surprise. If not today but soon. Make no mistake the tax cut was and is to benefit the wealthy not the average middle income working stiff.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 09:46 am
Pay a professional? Unless you're rolling in money, check to see whether AARP offers free tax help in your area?

The volunteers are trained--and want to save you money.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 10:02 am
I did mine via Turbotax for free online in Feb. Got back a tad over 2,000 bucks.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 07:30 am
Most of you folks in this thread appear to be Americans. I gather that you have seperate returns for your Federal and State taxes. In Canada, we pay our Federal and Provincial taxes on the same return. Little more convenient, I guess.

As a sidebar, this is the first year I got a small refund for a long time. I always usually pay a small amount. So, what happens? Apparently there was a mix-up with mine and my younger daughter's accounts, and they nicely direct deposited my refund into hers! Rolling Eyes Now, it's all got to be straightened out....and that's going to take lots of time.

Glad I got it out of the way early.....so I have all this wait now..... Mad Mad Mad
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 07:33 am
Good on ya, Edgar.

We're first-time homeowners who also moved from one state to another. Our heads are spinning.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 08:13 am
Still holding onto my cash...still holding onto my cash...I guess I'll send the check today.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 12:23 pm
I just finished, ugh.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 12:29 pm
We finished last night.

<ominous music builds>

... we THOUGHT.

Stupid stupid stupid Ohio has this stupid stupid stupid thing where there is a truly idiotic CITY income tax... income tax! And we have to file two more totally freaking imbecilic forms for the city where we live and the city where E.G. works. (Different cities.) Oh and that's not all! It looks like EACH of us have to file forms for one of the cities.

I've never had to deal with anything so freaking dumb before, it all started when we were like what's this number on the W-2 -- it's Columbus withholding but it doesn't seem to go anywhere on the Ohio state tax -- because [it turns out] it goes on the CITY tax!.

I've printed out these endless forms and looking at them and my eyes cross and I distract myself and clear my head and get back to them...

Hope to have them finished today, we'll see.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 01:22:09