Drow

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 01:05 pm
The world of the Underdark and its inhabitants, including the Dark Elf (drow) society, is the main focus of a number of Forgotten Realms books by a bunch of authors, most notably R.A. Salvatore.
I highly reccommend the following books of this series to all fantasy readers:

The Dark Elf Trilogy (awesome) (Homeland, Exile, Sojourn)

The Icewind Dale Trilogy (The Crystal Shard, Streams of Silver, the Halfling's Gem)

The Hunter's Blades Trilogy (The Thousand Orcs, the Lone Drow, the Two Swords)

The War of the Spider Queen (hella awesome) (Dissolution, Insurrection, Condemnation, Extinction, Annihilation, Ressurection)

These books engulf you in the Drow society of intrigue, treachery, violence, magic, conquest, exploration, and discovery, and they're amazing. Go read some!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 962 • Replies: 4
No top replies

DaFlukes

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 01:53 pm
I've read R. A. Salvatore's the Dark Elf Trilogy and the Icewind Dale trilogy. Some of the other two series as well. I liked the first two series well enough. He has a knack for describing battle scenes. But the writing seemed to stagnate after a while i think. In how often can you describe whirling scimitars and sliced guts before it gets stale?

Some of the other books he writes are the same except he employs wierd hybrid creatures with special powers from D&D. I think i liked the older books featuring Drizzt Do'Urden alone better. As Salvatore continues wriitng he seems to rely on the wierd creatures to make the story seem different.

One other thing...to what extent do you agree that a person needs to be familiar, or at least aquainted, with Dungeons and Dragons to appreciate these stories...especially the later ones?
0 Replies

smog

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 02:12 pm
Drow are so badass.
0 Replies

DaFlukes

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 02:28 pm
haha. I agree.

Badass.

A Pefect succinct summation of Dark Elf Characteristic.
0 Replies

Francisco DAnconia

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 11:32 pm
too right you. Badass.
This is why I wound up liking War of the Spider Queen more - because it had absolutely nothing to do with Drizzt Do'Urden and his repetitive scimitars. In fact, it focuses on an entirely new cast of characters, each surprising and interesting in his or her own fashion.

Salvatore's best book, I think, was Homeland. War of the Spider Queen was better than the rest of his stuff.
0 Replies