Average White Band were....Scottish?!!!

smorgs

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 01:19 pm
Just listened to a great documentary on the Average White Band...how the hell did I miss them?! I mean I remember Pick up the Pieces, but how on earth did I get to this great age and not know they were SCOTTISH!!! Shocked The Great White Hope (name of the prog) was brilliant, going to download the White Album right now! Any fans out there?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 800 • Replies: 12
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 03:03 pm
Bay City Rollers Forever !!!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 11:43 pm
Yeah, and Cut The Cake. AWB were an awesome take on R&B horn funk.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 06:41 am
I won an album Shocked by these Scottish twins in a pub challenge about 12 years ago. I had no idea who they were - listened once and was addicted.

link to their samples - the middle of Sunshine on Leith always thwacks me in the heart
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 07:03 am
now back to your originally scheduled programming

http://www.averagewhiteband.com/images/white.gif
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 07:06 am
samples page at the official AWB website. word is that the samples change, so if you like their stuff (as I do) worth keeping in favourites and checking in once in a while.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 10:33 am
Must have been quite a surprise, huh, Smorgs. The first CD I bought after upgrading was Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon'. I looked at the photos and said, "Hey, what's up with this?" These guys are white?
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 10:40 am
ebeth,
Thanks for the fantastic links to The proclaimers...I'm listening ti Letter From America as I type. It's making me smile - isn't funny how you have to sing along in a scottish accent!

Looowis no moowah! Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 10:41 am
I like to 'haver'.

Very Happy
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 10:45 am
Your so right roger...for years I assumed they were black (sooo funky). I just thought that their band name was an ironic thing...that I didn't quite get. One of the members (during the programme) said "I doubt if many people in America remember us!"
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 10:46 am
roger wrote:
I looked at the photos and said, "Hey, what's up with this?" These guys are white?

I don't know if it was intentional, but Roger I'm LMAO Laughing
0 Replies

Tino

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 01:35 pm
AWB
I recently bought the Cd of AWB because I only ever had the single of "pick up the pieces" as a teenager [and I actually preferred the B-side called You got it]. I did buy Cut the Cake album [and the later Soul Searching; not one of their better albums] but i never got around to buying AWB [not because I didn't think Cut the cake was a classic but because i already had putp single and some lame experience of retrogressing with artists...thinking of The Commodores in their funky days as I write that) because you know how it is when your only income is pocket money or a paper round. I could only afford an album a month on average.

Anyway i saw CTC for sale online as cd and thought I'd get AWB while I was at it and now I am sorry I didn't have enough faith to buy it in 75 after CTC because it is a quality album. I love the drum sound they get on "Nothing you can do". Smile

Did you know they referred to AWB's music as "McFunk", i didn't until I read it on the sleeve notes of the cd.

ps Wish I had bought Nazareth's "Razamanaz" as a kid too instead of settling for the singles. I would've loved it. Smile Smile
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 07:09 pm
Nice post. Welcome to A2K
0 Replies