Importing containers to San Diego?

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 01:04 pm
Hi Craven,
I'm just starting an eBay business with a Chinese partner out of Zhuhai and need to learn about what is involved at my end in San Diego/Long Beac/So. Cal. The containers will have furniture and accessories [porcelain, statues, baskets, etc] onboard.
I've not contacted a customs broker/freight forwarder as I'm not sure where I should have the containers shipped adn assume I should conact someone within a close proximity of the port.
I agree with you that Long Beach is a nasty port and read that you import through Vancouver and have your container trucked to So. Cal. You say it's less expensive that way? Is the criteria for shipping this way weight, size or both? Why not San Diego? Does the Port of San Diego not allow containers?
Also, I have the feeling that storage would be less in the San Diego area than around Long Beach, but have not yet researched that.
I got a little taste of what's involved last year when a container with Chinese furniture was impounded by the police department in Long Beach at my request. Long story.....but I was the one who ultimately hired and supervised the ground shipper and loaders to disperse the crates throughout the US.
After reading all the postings, I will definitely contact a freight forwarder and customs broker when I know where my containers will be docking.

Am I assuming correctly that a freight forwarder/customs broker would handle the shipment to my warehouse, or can the freight forwarder handle the crates to their final destinations throughout the US?
Like I said, I'm just starting, so I know next to nothing and would like not to have to learn the hard way.
I appreciate your wisdom and knowledge, Oh Great One. I've already learned so much from your posts.
Thank you in advance,
lolapeach
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 853 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 02:27 pm
Re: Importing containers to San Diego?
lolapeach wrote:

I agree with you that Long Beach is a nasty port and read that you import through Vancouver and have your container trucked to So. Cal. You say it's less expensive that way? Is the criteria for shipping this way weight, size or both? Why not San Diego? Does the Port of San Diego not allow containers?

I did not ship to San Diego, I shipped to the mid-west. Entering Vancouver did not add additional cost to where I was shipping but would for San Diego.

Quote:
Am I assuming correctly that a freight forwarder/customs broker would handle the shipment to my warehouse, or can the freight forwarder handle the crates to their final destinations throughout the US?

They can do either, depending on your logistics.

But unless you are drop shipping it's usual to separate import and distribution logistics. So they'd get it to your warehouse, and the distribution from there would be handled separately. I usually used warehouses that doubled as trucking brokers when I needed to distribute myself (my product was usually dellivered through Sysco).
0 Replies