Winter sucks

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 12:52 pm
I'm so tired of it.

It keeps teasing me, retreating for a moment, letting me remember what it feels like to welcome a breeze on my skin, but then it returns with an icy vengeance.

There's snow out there. This annoys me.

There's an evil, frigid wind blowing. This really annoys me.

The sun is shining -- this is good. But it's bait, a tease, you sit in a sunbeam and go ahhhh and then venture outside and WHAM.

This is very, very annoying.

I think, well, spring will be here soon, and check the long-term forecast, and the high temp never ventures above 43 (while the lows are teens and 20's).

Soon maybe, but not soon enough.

Evil or Very Mad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,907 • Replies: 46
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 01:00 pm
Oh, don't get me started. My friends and co-workers are pretty sick of hearing me whine about the snow. Especially since this year was not nearly as bad as last year. I just don't like it. Snow is beautiful. It looks like it's a lot of fun to play in. But I can't stay out side for more than 5 minutes before I feel like I'd die if I had to spend another second outdoors.

Geez, I can't wait till spring. I am sick of wearing boots and coats. In fact, I can remember spring last year, taking a walk on the first day that it was warm enough to go without a coat and being amazed at how light I felt. Instant energy comes from lightening your load by 5 pounds.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 01:06 pm
I'm weary of winter, too, but unlike the previous posters I do not have young children with socks, shoes, boots, mittens, scarves and other detachable pieces of warm clothing.

There were winters long, long, ago when I contemplated taking my darling toddlers to a farriers to have their footwear nailed on.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 01:06 pm
I really genuinely like it at the beginning of the year. I have a tiny bit of patience through February. But once March comes around, that's it, end of my rope. Can't STAND it anymore.

This is all amplified by the sick kid thing of course (how are yours doing?), I want nothing more than to take her out for a lot of fresh air and I certainly CAN when it's this cold -- bundle her all up, yadda yadda -- but it's when I really depserately want nothing more than to not have to bother with all that stuff and open the door and step outside into fresh warm breezes.... ahhh... what bliss.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 01:07 pm
Noddy, heh!!! Yes, I know just what you mean.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 01:16 pm
Yeah, the kids and their bundling certainly contributes. Mine are doing pretty well -- they seem to have gotten over whatever it was that the whole town was afflicted with. But I realized they never even went sledding once this year. Now we have snow but it's too bloody cold and the wind, my God the wind. It's brutal.

I just want to feel the sun on my face and I want to see my kids barefoot and running outside, getting nice and brown.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 01:24 pm
Yes yes exactly.

The wind is what's really getting me down, for some reason. Maybe the way it rudely disrupts the illusion the sun provides. (The sun is definitely getting warmer.)

Glad your kids are feeling better.

Ah, running around outside barefoot...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 01:39 pm
I can't stand it. I really don't know what the hell I'm doing living here.

However, 2 weeks until San Diego...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 01:45 pm
Yeah, spring break is cunningly placed. In fact, I think that's why I break down in March -- until about 8 years ago, I'd go to Florida every March. So about now I'd be able to look forward to that, and that'd get me through.

But I DON'T have anything to look forward to. GRrrrrr...

San Diego's nice. Are you going to see Craven when you're there?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 01:49 pm
We hardly had a winter here. We never get much snow west of the Cascades, anyhow, but there was no rain here or snow in the mountains. All the moisture went to CA.

So, yeah, it's been warm, and I'm not complaining, but we are gonna pay for this in the summer. No snow in the mountains now = no water later on.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 02:00 pm
Wind--like air conditioning--generates a number of positive ions. Positive ions make people irritable and quarrelsome.

Out in Colorado when the spring winds start patients in the State Hospital are given extra tranquilizers.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 02:04 pm
Yes Soz, me and Craven got a hotel together. I just hope he doesn't uses me and actually calls after.

I'm actually going out to visit a buddy from college who moved out there with his girlfriend, going out with another friend. My friend's girlfriend is a nurse, and they live in an apartment building with 200+ travelling nurses. That sucks, wish I was staying somewhere with more dudes. Riiiiiight.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 02:54 pm
nurses... craven. nurses... craven.

Tough decision, dude, good luck. <claps on shoulder>

Interesting about the ions!! Didn't know that. Is that why the Santa Ana winds (or whatever it's called, in L.A. and presumably other parts of CA) are known for being crazy-making?
0 Replies

Tenoch

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 03:20 pm
Here in cali, I was happy to have rainy days. A good break from the sunny weather and long summer droughts.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 03:22 pm
Hate winter. I don't know why I live here. I must hate myself sufficiently enough to believe I need to be punished 8 months out of the year. Cuz there are two seasons here in Michigan. Freezing Cold and Balls Hot. You get 5.6 days of nice, 65 degree sunny weather each year. I live for those days.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 03:36 pm
The Santa Ana wind is notorious for causing ill humor.

I went looking for the correct spelling of "mistral" and found:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/understanding/wind_world.shtml

The BBC glosses over positive ions and the psychological effects, but people wouldn't name winds like plagues or puppy dogs if the winds weren't a major factor in their lives.

I believe that in parts of Italy the Mistral winds could be cited as mitigating circumstances in domestic murders.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 04:38 pm
Interesting, this business of the winds affecting behavior. On the one hand, I have no reason to doubt they may. On the other, I know people also blame the full moon for their misbehavior. That's one I have no trouble doubting...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 04:44 pm
WEll slappy, then pack a warm sweater: San Diego is
cold too.... and too rainy. <sigh>
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 06:54 pm
I live in the southwest corner of British Columbia. I was doing my meter reading route today in a T-shirt enjoying 65 F. weather. Embarrassed Very Happy
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 07:27 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
WEll slappy, then pack a warm sweater: San Diego is
cold too.... and too rainy. <sigh>

Ain't as cold as here. I'm just psyched to go in general, I've never been and heard it's great.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Winter sucks
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/30/2024 at 05:19:13