Damn you Starbucks! Now I need to take unconscious bias training

Linkat

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2018 12:27 pm
I have to take unconscious bias training at work. It is all Starbucks fault - damn them.

I am learning all about micoaggressions and micro inequities, micro affirmations and similar things that never existed 5 years ago.

Do you know any micro stuff?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 625 • Replies: 14
No top replies

alphabeta

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2018 12:58 pm
@Linkat,
Anti-racist is a codeword for anti-white.

You have to be Black to be a citizen of Liberia.
Uganda is 99% Black.
It is much, much easier to get an Indian passport if you are ethnically Indian.
Israel was set up as a homeland for the Jews.
Japan is 98.5% Japanese.
roger

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2018 12:59 pm
@Linkat,
Isn't this GREAT?!!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2018 01:16 pm
@alphabeta,
Somebody needs conscious biased!
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2018 01:27 pm
@Linkat,
Do you really believe none of this existed five years ago?
Linkat

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2018 02:09 pm
@engineer,
No - but the words are new - did you ever hear of micro affirmations before? Micro-aggressions? And here is one Tokenism was also mentioned.

Also - they talked about things that would give everyone laugh (even now my teenager laughed about one of these micro aggressions that happened to her and does quite regularly). One of the examples in the class was getting someone's name slightly wrong - Julia vs Julie; Kate vs Katie; stuff like that. It happens to my daughter all the time even in a recent email from the teacher after an entire school year she got her name slightly wrong. My daughter just laughed.

In the training it tells us how an employee would feel under valued and unappreciated. My daughter as a teen, thought it funny. Weird that adults cannot handle something with humor and ease over an adult. Good thing too because I have even called them the dog's name.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2018 02:14 pm
And some of the stuff in this training are things that we ask our kids to be tough about - things about not being included when you go out to lunch, or out for drinks.

Hey I have to explain to my child that not everyone is going to like you in situations where they do not get invited to a party or left out of the group. But now as grown adults and being a manager I need to monitor this?

I need to go around in a meeting and make sure each person gets to say something? I mean personally address each person in the meeting and say Hey Sally do you have something to add? Hey Frank do you have anything and so on- what a waste of time if you have 20 people in the room.

I usually throw out an -- -hey does anyone have anything to add at the end of a meeting. Instead I am going to spend 10 minutes in what should be a 20 minute quick meeting asking each person individually in case someone is in an introvert? I am an introvert and I would speak up if needed in the same situation.

Just some of this stuff is - lack for a better term -- stupid.
Linkat

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2018 03:58 pm
So I was curious and many of the words did begin originating in the 70s. It just though began hitting mainstream and work cultural significantly later in the last 10 years or so.

At least from what I can find.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2018 05:45 pm
@alphabeta,
Quote:
Anti-racist is a codeword for anti-white.

You have to be Black to be a citizen of Liberia.
Uganda is 99% Black.
It is much, much easier to get an Indian passport if you are ethnically Indian.
Israel was set up as a homeland for the Jews.
Japan is 98.5% Japanese.

I personally do not know the cultural and ethnic make-up of the countries you have listed.
I do know that there are many different ethnic groups and cultures that make up the United States of America.
That is the true beauty of the United States of America.
That is what really makes America great.
alphabeta

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2018 05:45 am
@Real Music,
White countries and ONLY White countries need more diversity.

Diversity means chasing down Whites.

Diversity is White Genocide.
Real Music

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2018 12:08 am
@alphabeta,
Isley, Jasper, Isley - Caravan of Love

0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2018 02:11 pm
@alphabeta,
Are you against racism in all those places, or are you for it as a justification for strengthening it in other places too?

If you are justifying it because you are white and in favor of racism against minorities, how would/will you feel when whites are not a majority and they are subject to racism?

Would you then want racist minorities to be educated against discrimination and anti-white racism or not?
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2018 02:15 pm
@Linkat,
Isn't it different when people don't like you because of individual reasons than if they don't because of prejudices based on your group or otherwise? E.g. if someone sees you have a certain shape of head and they associate that shape with criminals, doesn't it irritate you that they keep looking at you suspiciously? Then, if they call the police on you and you find out it was because they thought you were a criminal because of how your head is shaped, what would you think about that? Would you just chalk it off to them having a right to their opinion?
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2018 12:54 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I have to take unconscious bias training at work. It is all Starbucks fault - damn them.

I am learning all about micoaggressions and micro inequities, micro affirmations and similar things that never existed 5 years ago.

Do you know any micro stuff?

It's my theory that millions of years of evolution gradually wore down the average thickness of our skin, probably to make it less heavy an therefore easier to carry around. However, the unfortunate side-effect of this eminently sensible evolution is, of course, that things that used to just slide off in earlier times, while we laboriously struggled to lift our mega-ton skin around, you know, such as mispronunciations of the name, would in our modern times just rip through our thin, soft skin and fatally wound us in the very core of our souls.

I reckon training sessions on micro aggression and micro inequities should only take a micro amount of effort to absorb by the trainee... You know, to keep the scale of things in balance...
roger

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2018 01:33 am
@najmelliw,
I suspect that's a round about way of saying we have become too thin skinned. You could be right, but try not to let it get under your skin.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Damn you Starbucks! Now I need to take unconscious bias training
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 07:35:05