Is there a way to get around a company's webmail block?

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 12:38 pm
I got to work today and discovered that my piece of sh*t scumbag company has now decided to block all employees from using any web-based e-mail accounts (Gmail, Yahoo, etc.). When we try to go to any sights with the word "webmail" somewhere in the code for that page, we get a page that says:

"The request was denied, as specified in the SmartFilter Content Filter configuration. The content category reported is Webmail."

Is there any way around this? I don't really care all that much, except in that I feel it's yet another little way that the corporate weasels are making the work environment just a little bit more cold and hellish. My buddy is really pissed though. Can anyone help him out?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,214 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 12:55 pm
(bookmarking -- my place did that in '02...)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 01:00 pm
Try using the IP address instead of the URL. Do an nslookup on the URL and paste the returned IP into the browser bar.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 01:16 pm
Thanks, cjhsa. Will give that a shot.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 04:52 pm
Using the IP addy will probably get you to the site but as soon as you click on any link you'll be sunk again.

The only effective way I've found to get around this sort of thing is by using a secure (possibly anonymous) proxy out on the web someplace.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 05:01 pm
Fishin', you're right. That is what happened when my friend tried it.

I have only the slimmest grasp of what you mean by a secure proxy out on the web, but my friend who is trying to beat this thing will, I'm sure, know exactly what you mean. I'll tell him about your possible solution tomorrow morning.

Thanks
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 05:10 pm
Have him take a look here:

http://www.the-cloak.com/anonymous-surfing-faq.html

That's just one of several possibilities. The ideal situation would be to setup your own proxy on a machine at home and restrict access to yourself. Wink
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 05:52 pm
Will do. Thanks again.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 05:58 pm
at least you still have a2k!
0 Replies

Don77

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 07:29 pm
Bastid's !!!!!! Eh Kicky
Do they realy think you show up in the morning to work for them ???

Lot of companies doing this,, Hell my company hasn't yet, But the owners just ordered me a Blackberry so I can be with them even when I m away
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 08:31 pm
Do a Google search on "free Internet proxy server"
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 09:08 pm
littlek wrote:

Yes, and thank god for that. The day they take A2K away from me is the day that I spray my floor with machine gun fire.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 09:08 pm
I'll let my friend know about all your ideas, guys. Appreciate it!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 09:23 pm
kickycan wrote:
littlek wrote:

Yes, and thank god for that. The day they take A2K away from me is the day that I spray my floor with machine gun fire.

Easy tiger!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 10:46 pm
I was kidding!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 10:56 pm
of course you were <looking over shoulder>
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 11:27 pm
Hehehe
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 09:20 am
Hey Kicky – seeing we are fellow employees I thought the same way as you when I first read about this block. Later I realized there could actually be a legitimate reason for this beyond irritating their employees even more and denying more benefits and making our lives as miserable as possible. If found out that many companies do this now, more because it is a way to help prevent computer viruses. However, my guess is that our company is doing this just to make us more miserable, but as a bonus they will decrease the chances of computer viruses. They just found out about this later and used this as the main reasoning.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 11:57 am
I work for a european company and we have a lousy dental plan to go along with the overactive spam/virus/perfectly valid e-mail blocking. Is anyone surprised a euro company has a bad dental plan?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 02:40 pm
if it'll make y'all feel any better, i am now suddenly able to get my yahoo mail @ work Smile
must be a glitch -- i doubt they'd suddenly allow this again, after blocking it for nearly 3 years...
0 Replies