cell phone etiquette

Tenoch

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 12:24 pm
Is it me or is Cell phone etiquette totally non-existant?For young girls especially. almost every single girl has to pick up her cell phone everytime it rings. I was on a date and this girls picks up a call in the middle of dinner. It wasn't an emergency or anything and they start to have a conversation about the weather. I'm like WTF!!! I always leave my cell in the car if I'm going somewhere out of respect for the girl. People also seem to forget that cells have a silent feature and an off botton. Nowadays you can't have a conversation with a 20somthing girl without being interrupted by her cell phone 5-10 during the date.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,026 • Replies: 43
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 12:28 pm
If we can't accept it, Tenoch, I guess we live with it. They are not going to change for us.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 12:33 pm
I hate people who answer the phone while you're having a conversation with them. I asked a friend if she'd become a surgeon since I last saw her. "hunh?" "well, if you weren't being called in to do emergency surgery, you didn't really need to take that call, did you?"

She doesn't have the phone on when we see each other now.

It does seem to be much worse in the U.S. than in Canada. When I was in Cambridge about 3 years ago, shops had signs in the windows asking people not to use their cells in the shops. That kind of sign isn't needed so much here.

You do see lots of people walking along talking into space downtown - headsets neatly tucked into their hair or hats.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 01:17 pm
That was a rescue call, Tenoch. You must have passed, or she would have had to rush out because her house was flooding....
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 01:51 pm
Quote:
Nowadays you can't have a conversation with a 20somthing girl without being interrupted by her cell phone 5-10 during the date.

Tenoch-Maybe you need to consider dating 30 somethings.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 02:39 pm
Under those circumstances, I think you'd have been justified in paying the check and leaving immediately. After all, she could always have called her friend and asked for a ride home.

I don't mind people walking down the street chattering away to empty air. I do mind people gossiping in public places when they should be tending to the business that brought them to the public place.

Down the road, I'll be interested in the social implications springing from a gadget that enables the owner to stay connected to the owner's private life where ever the owner might be. Personally, there are times I want to be out of touch and unavailable.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 04:33 pm
I would have never thought of that DrewDad, but it may have been. Had he passed, though, brevity should have been the order of the day.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 04:40 pm
Don't use it in public places; restaurants, theaters, coffee shops, pubs, and public transportation.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 04:42 pm
Re: cell phone etiquette
Tenoch wrote:
Is it me or is Cell phone etiquette totally non-existant?For young girls especially. almost every single girl has to pick up her cell phone everytime it rings. I was on a date and this girls picks up a call in the middle of dinner. It wasn't an emergency or anything and they start to have a conversation about the weather. I'm like WTF!!! I always leave my cell in the car if I'm going somewhere out of respect for the girl. People also seem to forget that cells have a silent feature and an off botton. Nowadays you can't have a conversation with a 20somthing girl without being interrupted by her cell phone 5-10 during the date.

I believe that in this situation, proper cell phone etiquette requires that you grab the cell phone from her hand immediately, dial 911, anonymously dispatch the proper authorities to the scene of the crime which is about to take place, and then gleefully beat her stupid, selfish ass to death with it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 04:42 pm
Cell phone etiquette is an oxymoron.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 06:10 pm
I really wonder about the folk that drive while yacking away with great animation on their mobiles. I hate seeing that! Stupid!Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 06:13 pm
It happens too often at the local coffee shop; a person with a cell phone talks on the phone to let everybody in the shop hear what he's saying to the other party on the line. We don't need to hear 'only' his side of the conversation; he should put it on the loudspeaker system.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 06:16 pm
Yeah, but half the time they're saying something like: " ...Nothin' much. I'm at the coffee shop/supermarket. What are you doin"? At least they could make it INTERESTING if we must over-hear! .... Laughing
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 06:18 pm
Really? LOL
0 Replies

Tenoch

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 12:37 am
msolga wrote:
Yeah, but half the time they're saying something like: " ...Nothin' much. I'm at the coffee shop/supermarket. What are you doin"? At least they could make it INTERESTING if we must over-hear! .... Laughing

That's hella true. They're like "What you doing? Nothing what you doing? just chillin."
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 09:51 am
This reminds me of a joke one of my favorite comedians laid out...

"Who has their WWJD braceletts on? Hmm?
Yeah. This thing has helped me be a better person, in the decisions I make.

For instance, I was at the movies. Some guy's cellphone goes off - in the middle of the movie! He's like, 'yeah? I'm watching a movie,' and ooohh.. I wanted to go over there," (while he's doing a lot of violent hand motions) "But then I saw my WWJD bracelett. That's right. I thought to myself, 'What would Jesus do?'

And so I lit him on fire and sent him to hell."

:wink:
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 10:11 am
I can recall how automobiles would scare our horses. So we shot all the horses and bought automobiles.
Theres a lesson in there somewhere.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 10:49 am
farmerman, When you figure that one out, please share it with us. LOL
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 12:13 pm
I've got friends who have a course policy for students who answer phones in class: they answer the phone for the student and tell the person on the other line that they're in class at the moment.

You'd be surprised at how often it happens that a kid will answer his/her cellphone in the middle of class.
0 Replies

Tenoch

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 12:47 pm
my last years of college, teachers started to dock points off people tests if their cell phones rang.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » cell phone etiquette
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 04:24:17