Gathering Good Google Gab Gracefully

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 06:59 am
I recently read how Phoenix 32980 could out google the best.So I thought of ........What do you do at Google and how do you do it ?

I think the Boolean search method is the smartest approach to finding things.I just forgot it's protocals. Does anyone else know or have any googlishous tips to share.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 996 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 07:15 am
Boolean, shmoolean........I just use my instincts! Laughing
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 03:10 pm
But there must be something Phoenix32890???
Anything......not even a whisper......oo a peep.....or a bright red orange
anti boolean jeep.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 03:17 pm
I google practically everything and I mean everything. I could be cool to design a search contest??

I like to use + and " " in my searches

I might do a search like this:
"Algis Kemezys + Phoenix" with no results
but if you Algis Kemezys + Phoenix you get Ban Atomic Bombs...
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 03:28 pm
- If you google "husker phoenix" you get " low income households".

-If you google husker phoenix you get lots of results.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 03:32 pm
I once heard a story about a sculptor. Someone asked him how he made such beautiful sculptures.

He says,

"It's very easy. Lets say you want to do a sculpture of an elephant. You start with a block of stone. Anything that ISN'T an elephant, you chip away!" Laughing

I suppose it is the same with Googling. You need to narrow what you want in your own mind, so that you don't come up with a million answers that are not what you want.

Let's take finding out the lyrics to a song. For that, I would put the name of the song in quotation marks/lyrics.

If I don't know the name of a song, but I remember a phrase. I would put "the phrase that I remember"/lyrics. The important thing is to write a phrase that is unique. If you put in "I love you"/lyrics, you will never find what you want.

Say you want to know the lyrics to a song (Scarborough Fair) that has the word "Sage" in it. If you just Google "Sage", you get 12 million hits, most of which have nothing to with what you want. But, if you Google, "sage"/lyrics, you get 310,000 hits, of which #2 is the one you want. If you remember a bit more, like, "parsely sage, rosemary"/lyrics you get 257 hits, with the Simon & Garfunckel song right at the top.

The important thing to know about quotation marks, is that when you use them, all the words in the quotes are together on the hit.

When I find an interesting site, I put it immediately into my "favorites", which I have categorized. (Contrary to rumor it is NOT true that I file "dog" under "bone") I find that you refer to certain sites over and over again.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 03:39 pm
Phoenix - I'm suprised about the commonalities we share . LOL Wink
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 04:44 pm
I heard also using not before certain things rids one of unwantedthings?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 06:04 pm
http://www.google.com/help/refinesearch.html

http://library.albany.edu/internet/boolean.html

Quite honestly, I would not have the patience to wade through this stuff. I seem to do very well simply flying by the seat of my pants!
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 08:05 am
I guess the Aviator was flying by the seat of it's pants too last night.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 11:35 pm
I was wondering about the cow...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 08:05 am
You can add -word if you don't want that word. Like if I want to research Guernica but the history not the Picasso painting, I might enter:

guernica -picasso

Then only the sites that mention guernica but DON'T mention Picasso will show up. (Btw capitalization doesn't matter so I never bother.)
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 07:58 pm
thanks for these little helpfull pointers sozobe!
0 Replies