RIP Anthony Bourdain

lmur

Fri 8 Jun, 2018 02:01 pm
Sad to hear this. Loved his shows and Kitchen Confidential.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44414747
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 665 • Replies: 11
Topic Closed
No top replies

McGentrix

Sat 9 Jun, 2018 04:46 am
Was certainly unexpected. I didn’t watch his show though, I mostly just know his reputation.
0 Replies

Agent1741

Sat 9 Jun, 2018 07:46 am
Very sad!
farmerman

Sun 10 Jun, 2018 03:07 am
@Agent1741,
Lash nd I have been discussing this on the "No Reservations" thread (which was one of his many past shos).
He was a really interesting chef and foody. No pretentiousnss, just good analyses of worldwide food sites and he wanted to experience them all.

He was more like a buddy , not a celebrity chef. Really a sad ending to a personality who brought his own approach and was every bit as important a "food force" as was Julia Child.

Hung himself over being dumpd by his girlfriend whose career he revived .

firefly

Sun 10 Jun, 2018 07:04 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Hung himself over being dumpd by his girlfriend whose career he revived .

Do you have a source for that? Everything I've read, and heard. doesn't even speculate on a motive, or hint at problems with his girlfriend, and his suicide seems to have been a very impulsive act.

He also took his responsibilities to his young daughter, and his need to be around for her, very seriously, and he commented on that just a few months ago:
Quote:
“I’m going to pretty much die in the saddle,” he told People magazine in February while filming his show “Parts Unknown.”

The 61-year-old chef and TV show host said he spends about 250 days a year on the road — but wasn’t planning on retiring from his globe-trotting life any time soon.

“I gave up on that. I’ve tried. I just think I’m just too nervous, neurotic, driven,” he said. “I would have had a different answer a few years ago. I might have deluded myself into thinking that I’d be happy in a hammock or gardening. But no, I’m quite sure I can’t.”

Despite his busy schedule, Bourdain made sure to carve out five days a month to spend time with his 11-year-old daughter, Ariane, who lives with his ex-wife, Ottavia Busia, in Manhattan.

“I’ll go back, see my daughter, unpack, repack, mimic a normal life, which is extraordinarily pleasurable to me,” he said.

Bourdain said the birth of his only child made him feel like he had “some responsibility” to “at least try to live.”

“I also do feel I have things to live for,” he said. “There have been times, honestly, in my life that I figured, ‘I’ve had a good run — why not just do this stupid thing, this selfish thing … jump off a cliff into water of indeterminate depth,'” he said, recalling something he’d once done for his show “Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations.”

Before his daughter was born, Bourdain said he’d often push his boundaries.

“I was, frankly, asking for trouble. It was a daredevil move,” he said. “In retrospect, I don’t know that I would oday, now that I’m a dad or reasonably happy.”

He described himself to People as being “happy in ways that I have not been in memory” and “happy in ways I didn’t think I ever would be, for sure.”

He credited girlfriend, Asia Argento, with his contentment.
https://pagesix.com/2018/06/08/anthony-bourdain-reflected-on-death-in-months-before-suicide/

This was a sad, really tragic end, for a man who seemed so full of various passions, and curiosity, and meaningful definite values that he put into practice. Why didn't he seek other options for whatever help he needed? We may well never know.

I really enjoyed his "Parts Unknown" series on CNN--it was a fascinating exploration of culture, and history, and diversity all over the world--it focused on a lot more than just food--and he was a wonderful host who genuinely seemed to appreciate it all, and, by example, he was an inspiration to move out of one's comfort zone and take it all in.

Sad, sad, sad.
farmerman

Sun 10 Jun, 2018 07:10 am
@firefly,
I read about his hanging in the Post and as far as his girlfriend, Lash found that. I just combined the two.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 10 Jun, 2018 07:17 am
I find it hard to sympathize with suicide for those reasons, although I think society might benefit immensely if some I can think of tried it. His child deserved better of him.
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 10 Jun, 2018 09:52 am
@firefly,
The American MSM hasn’t speculated about his relationship with his “gf” yet, but Italian press publicized pictures of Asia Argento and a handsome journalist canoodling on the streets of Rome. The pics were published one or two days before Bourdain’s suicide.

I follow Bourdain’s Instagram account, and every damn day, I could count on a cool video of where he was, accompanied by cool music. I noted last Wednesday and Thursday, there wasn’t one. Thought it a little odd, but I could think of a hundred good reasons why he might not have filmed that day.

I know healthy people don’t kill themselves when they’re dumped or cheated on. This guy was unable to take it on Friday. I think he lived with depression, and just couldn’t rise above Argento’s treatment.

https://www.yourtango.com/2018314194/was-is-hugo-clement-new-details-about-the-french-director-anthony-bourdain-girlfriend-was-seen-with-before-he-died
firefly

Sun 10 Jun, 2018 04:28 pm
@Lash,
Quote:

I know healthy people don’t kill themselves when they’re dumped or cheated on. This guy was unable to take it on Friday. I think he lived with depression, and just couldn’t rise above Argento’s treatment.

I tend to agree. Whatever the immediate trigger was, he was already primed to opt out of living.

Sometimes "having it all" just isn't enough.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 15 Jun, 2018 05:50 am
@Lash,
I also saw the clincher a couple of days ago, decided to mention it here.

She posted and deleted a cryptic message a few hours before his death was reported.

I see she’s asked her friend Rose McGowan to write a piece defending her, but her cruelty led to his death.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pagesix.com/2018/06/08/asia-argento-posted-then-deleted-bizarre-pic-before-bourdains-death/amp/

Argento posted — and later deleted — a bizarre message on social media just before her boyfriend Anthony Bourdain committed suicide, according to reports.

Three hours before his death was first reported, the Italian actress posted an Instagram story that showed her wearing a ripped, black T-shirt that read, “F–K EVERYONE” — with the cryptic caption, “You know who you are,” in an image obtained by People.

The T-shirt appeared to be of Sid Vicious of the Sex Pistols. Bourdain has been referred to as the Sid Vicious of the culinary world, according to MSN.

After news of Bourdain’s suicide in a French hotel room emerged, Argento deleted the post, according to The Blast.

farmerman

Fri 15 Jun, 2018 05:19 pm
@Lash,
sad.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 15 Jun, 2018 06:08 pm
Quite.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » RIP Anthony Bourdain
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/16/2024 at 08:35:23