7/2 DECISION ON BAKER'S CASE

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2018 01:32 pm
The holding by SCOTUS was a shameful punt of a serious question which deserved greater attention than the Court was willing to offer. Gays and other minorities now suffer at the whim of those who claim religious conviction that "sinners" should not be served. When did the question of preparing a cake rise to the equivalency of discrimination which would require the state to protect religion? It is an absurdity on its face, and the decision itself is a profound disservice to those discriminated against and makes a veritable joke of religion. A religion cannot long stand when it is treated in such a pedestrian manner. That is the slippery slope which SCOTUS just invited.

coluber2001

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2018 03:20 pm
The alternative is a boycott against the discriminating proprietor. Often, money speaks louder than legality or humanity.
roger

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2018 03:23 pm
@coluber2001,
How did that work out with Chick-fil-A?
Sturgis

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2018 03:51 pm
@roger,
Clearly it works better on the small Mom & Pop type local stores with only 1 or 2 locations. It does though gain some traction and has the potential for making things better, even if it goes up against a national or international chain.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2018 05:35 pm
@PARIPASSU,
An interesting review of the decision.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jun/06/fury-despair-masterpiece-cakeshop-ruling-misplaced

Quote:
If Kennedy’s open-ended call for tolerance and compromise seems unsatisfactory, fair enough. This case presents tough constitutional questions, especially in our anxious and polarized era. His fact-specific solution dodges many of the hardest issues and leaves the public (and the lower courts) in an uncertain position.

Still, the idea that Masterpiece Cakeshop has undermined Kennedy’s legacy must be rejected. As his decades of jurisprudence make clear, Kennedy cares deeply about LGBTQ rights, religious freedom, and the emergence of social understandings and legal rules that allow each of those values to flourish. It’s no damning indictment that he failed to solve that impossible puzzle in a single opinion. To the contrary, Kennedy should be commended for assembling a diverse coalition as he strives to help us all find a path forward through troubled waters.
0 Replies

PARIPASSU

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2018 04:19 pm
@roger,
Chick is a obdurate, intolerant organization owned by the Cathy family known for their odurance and intolerance, particularly in, what they believe are, Christian matters. You cannot effect change in a Christian organization which would rather observe a scorched-earth policy than bend to the will of the public buying its product. I would suggest that many who buy Chick's food are opposed to its policies, but are so enamored of its product that they are willing to sacrifice principle. The Baker, because of its size, has already experienced a significant diminution in its revenue. I should hope that if it fails, that failure stands as a testament to those who would engage in discrimination.
0 Replies

Agent1741

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2018 01:09 pm
The "bakers" mistake if you can call it that was that he made it clear exactly why he would not bake a cake for them. I guess he feels strongly enough to be specific as to why he would not. Had he just said "I have to much work already" I doubt if the whole thing would have gone as far as it did. They would have had to have proved that he was discriminating in there case.
I am not familiar with Chick Fillet BUT I will say since they destroyed the Dwarf House in my nearby town & built a new store I have only been there once. It destroyed a real nice family restaurant & replaced it with just another "bulk" fast food joint, I do not think I will ever go there again.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » 7/2 DECISION ON BAKER'S CASE
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 05:41:21