Need help for a great tag line for eMail marcketing

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 06:44 pm
We have a forum for nurses to talk with other nurses about the latest news, get advice and voice their opinions. We will send eMail to thousands nurses to invite them to this forum. We need enticing subject titles that make nurses open it. We don't want it to sound like spam.

Anybody has any idea?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,145 • Replies: 5
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 07:36 pm
Spam that doesn't sound like spam. What a novel concept!

Sending unsolicited emails to thousands of nurses is, by definition, spam.

Everyone who sends spam tries to come up with enticing subject titles to get people to open it. There is no trick I could think of that hasn't already crossed my inbox many times.

I find this type of marketing quite distasteful in general and I would never join a web forum that sent unsolicited email.

I would suggest paying for ad space on an appropriate website and getting good google coverage instead.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 07:54 pm
A bit cynical there ebrown. Rolling Eyes

The list is an opt-in list of nurses who work with the company and who joined based on said ad spends and google coverage.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 08:19 am
I guess I was a wee bit cynical.

But, if this is an opt in list, what is the need for a tag line. I think I am a not too atypical email using professional. If you are going to send me email, even email I requested, I want it to be short, direct and offer me something.

My hopefully helpful suggestions... offer something valuable in the email. Make it useful, simple and quick. The subject should reflect what you are offering... nothing cute or fancy.

- A bookstore for which I have a membership periodically sends me a 15% coupon. The subject of the email is "15% off at XYZ bookstore". I like this email because I know what it is and it has value to me. It doesn't waste my time if I am not interested at the moment. It has caused me to click through to their website at least a couple of time.

- Another merchant I gave my email to sends me periodic pages of "cool toys". I told them I liked cool toys and I knew exactly what I was signing up for. Their email says something like "neat bargains from XYZ store" (occasionally they add an additional seasonal qualifying word). The email is well laid out and it is very quick for me to choose to click through or not.

Again this email doesn't waste my time. I know what it is, I can choose to read it or not. Even if I read it, it is quick to use. They also get a click through (and more than once a sale) from me.

- A very good email I have been getting gives interesting articles about babies (as I have an 11 day old daughter). A baby oriented website sent us a weekly bulletin for each stage of pregnancy. The reason I liked this is that it send content. The subject was something like "your baby at 23 weeks". It was simple. I knew exactly what it was. I read them because they were interesting and well written articles that had value to me. They were not just marketing pieces.

I did click through to their web site. Unfortunately I did not find the website very usefull. .... but that is another story.

So my someless less cynical advice is to give up the idea of "making them open it". Offer something of value. Pick a subject line that is useful to them and tells them exactly what is in the email.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 10:43 am
ebrown_p wrote:

But, if this is an opt in list, what is the need for a tag line.

Emails with subject lines are useful for the email reader. Writing a good email subject is important as it is the first thing the reader sees, and a good line can make or break conversion.

This is a one-time email to the list with something different from what they normally receive (i.e. they usually get a newsletter and occasionally get a Christmas card or an invitation to a new web property).

Quote:
I think I am a not too atypical email using professional. If you are going to send me email, even email I requested, I want it to be short, direct and offer me something.

I personally have no use for email marketing at all, but this is her job and she has no choice, that's why I thought the soap box was cynical. She has no choice in the matter.

Quote:
My hopefully helpful suggestions... offer something valuable in the email. Make it useful, simple and quick. The subject should reflect what you are offering... nothing cute or fancy.

Agreed, ultimately the subject was a call to action that summarized the content of the mail well.

Quote:

So my someless less cynical advice is to give up the idea of "making them open it". Offer something of value. Pick a subject line that is useful to them and tells them exactly what is in the email.

I'm not sure if you've considered this, but the advice you are giving is advice on how to make readers open the email.

moomin623's first language is not English, and she might not have expressed it as clear as possible, but these are all things we'd discussed.

Before posting this I went over the difference between a subject line that compells only the opening of the email and one that does both that and sets up the email conversion, then she went off to find ideas.

Ultimately, we just used one of my ideas and the conversion rate is the typical rate for our list.
0 Replies

LongBeach90803

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 05:47 pm
Some hints:

Cocise, on topic subject.
Proper spelling.
Proper grammer.

If English is not your first language or just needs a little improvement, get someone to polish up your work. If your email doesn't have these three things, your email will never be read.
0 Replies