Bare Minerals Foundations: All It's Cracked Up to Be?

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 08:21 am
Ok, so I had insomnia the other night and would up watching some infomertials on tv. One happened to be Bare Escentuals bareminerals foundation. It's a powder made entirely of minerals and contains no added "stuff" like most makeups do. I am not entirely sure I believe that but...that is neither here nor there. Anyway, you basically buff the powder on for a natural coverage. The claims are as such: It doesn't look or feel like you are wearing makeup. It covers blemishes, rosacea, undereye circles and any other imperfection without looking heavy or cakey.

I went into a store nearby that carries this stuff and asked to try it. I was on my lunch break and so she only put it on my cheek. I liked the way it felt but couldn't tell crap about coverage because it was on a part of my face that didn't need coverage. So I have to go in bare faced (yikes!) to get a whole makeover. Which is nice because if I hate it I don't have to buy it. But anyway....

My question is this: Does it work? And if so, how well?

I am concerned about it accentuating smile lines and fine wrinkles or making my pores look bigger. I also don't know how well it can actually cover my baggie eyes. I have combination skin. Dry with an oily t-zone that is exacerbated by liquid foundations (gross, nasty, shiny, oily head by mid-afternoon) So....have you used it? Know someone who has? Tell me what you think before I go into the beauty store looking like a very pretty monster this weekend.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,128 • Replies: 13
No top replies

mac11

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 08:39 am
Bella, I have rosacea and saw one of these ads on an infomercial over a year ago. I've never worn foundation, and didn't want to start. But I was tired of using a concealer stick to cover various bumps, zits, blotches. So I bought it and have been using it ever since. I like it. I don't feel like I've got a ton of make-up on, the coverage is good, and it does stay on all day. It comes with a concealer cream that you can use under the "powder" which is much lighter than any regular powder I've ever seen.

I use Clean & Clear oil absorbing sheets once or twice during the day for my oily t-zone... you sort of blot with them, and they don't take off the make-up.

My make-up's a different brand than Bare Essentials though - can't remember it at the moment, but will check that out when I get home, if you'd like.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 08:53 am
Fresh? That was the other brand Sephora carried that was like Bare Minerals. There is also another brand I saw somewhere that is a mineral too....
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 09:46 am
Nope, it's not Fresh - it's two words - it's on the tip of my tongue...
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 10:14 am
mac11 wrote:
Nope, it's not Fresh - it's two words - it's on the tip of my tongue...

You applied it to your tongue? Shocked
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 10:17 am
Laughing
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 10:29 am
I found it online. The brand I use is called Sheer Cover.
0 Replies

kirsten

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 10:55 am
I tried the foundation and liked it very much. I ordered some other products from their line at Sephora. However, the containers are quite small, so it can get expensive. If you go to the Bare Escentuals site, they try to sell packages, with automatic shipments every month or so....no thanks! I haven't tried any eye products, but the lipstick has shea butter in it and feels really nice.
0 Replies

gaigle

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 11:20 am
bare minerals
i know this is quite a while after the original post, but i just joined this. anyway, i started using bare minerals about a year ago, and i won't use anything else now. i have combination skin as well, tho on the dry side. the powder does not make my skin look drier as i thought it might. i have used the eye shadows, blushes, and other products as well. i like them all. yes, they are expensive, but you use very little at a time, so they last for months. i can't feel the makeup on my face, which i love. i never used to wear foundation in the summer cuz i couldn't stand the way it feels, but now i can wear it year round!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 11:21 am
Hi gaigle, welcome to a2k!
0 Replies

waaaaajedi

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 12:22 pm
newbie as well here
Hiya, I'm new here and just bought some bare minerals foundation yesterday as well (my sister got some, it looked nice on her, and needed some too ^_^)
Anyway, I'm kind of stupid with make-up application, because I've always used liquid foundation, not powder foundation, and this is, obviously, powder. I was wondering if any of you had any tips as of how to apply it? I know it might be hard to put into words but... if you could try that'd be great.. I'm thoroughly confused as to how to make it un-blotchy with no streaks.

Thanks!
-Rae
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 08:06 am
Ok, first of all WELCOME! And second, it isn't as easy as one might think. Applying this takes practice.

First, moistureize! But always wait about 15-20 minutes after applying moisturizer or you will not get a good finish.

Second, don't put too much on. If you do, it cakes up horribly. I don't use concealer anymore, I just got a small brush and apply it where I need it, under the eyes and on belmishes. Then, I make sure not to put it on in those areas when I do the general application. Sometimes it can't be avoided but under the eyes can be.

Third, I get some on the big poofy brush. Make sure you get the excess off. Then I put it on one side of my face. Then I put some on the other side of my face. Then I put it on my forhead and the bridge of my nose. Finally, I run the brush all over my face to make sure it is even (without makeup on the brush). Last, I have a stiffer brush that I use to sweep over my whole face to get excess off. Sometimes I have to touch under my eyes with my finger to blend and uncake.

Viola! Done! It only takes a few minutes to do and I've had lots of compliments on it. It does take some time to master. I did a few dry runs before i actually went out of the house. I would put it on, and then check it in natural light (by a window or outside) since natural light shows far more imperfections than the light in your house. That way you can try different techniques and stuff.

Good luck! I love this stuff and I hope you do to!
0 Replies

kiralove65

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 11:52 am
Bare Escentuals mineral makeup works
I have had problem skin since my early 30s (about 7 years now) because I came down with rosacea Embarrassed when I was 32. I have not been able to wear any makeup at all without acne breakout even though my skin is super dry. I've been using Bareminerals makeup for several years and it is GREAT! Smile I have never had a problem and it removes all the redness and acne if I have any and makes my face look NORMAL. I love the stuff, and if you are worried about the price, you can find full-size jars (9-13 g.) on eBay for under 20 bucks. My full-size jars lasted 2 years, you really use VERY LITTLE every day! I found a deal for 8 full-size jars and 2 full-size eye shadows for $40! If you're patient you can find them! You can also buy little samples for about $5 on eBay if you just want to try it without spending huge amounts of money.

Don't worry about this makeup, it's pure, clean, and healthy!! And it looks great on anyone's skin!!

Kira Razz
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 12:12 pm
Hi kiralove, welcome to a2k! I agree, it's great stuff. I'm still using the samples and I've had them over a year.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Bare Minerals Foundations: All It's Cracked Up to Be?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 12:57:13