Basement dwellers beware - your days are numbered!

Linkat

Reply Wed 23 May, 2018 10:33 am
Parents go to court to boot 30-year-old son from home

An upstate New York judge ordered a 30-year-old man to move out of his parents’ house after they went to court to have him ejected.

Mark and Christina Rotondo brought the court case after several eviction letters offering money and other help were ignored. “Michael, here is $1,100 from us to you so you can find a place to stay,” a Feb. 18 letter starts. It goes on to suggest he sell his stereo, some tools and any weapons he may have to gain money and space.

“There are jobs available even for those with a poor work history like you,” the letter reads. “Get one — you have to work!”

It’s signed “Christina and Mark Rotondo.”

https://www.boston.com/news/national-news/2018/05/22/parents-evict-son
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 827 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Agent1741

Reply Wed 23 May, 2018 01:51 pm
Sounds like something Judge Judy would say and do. There was an episode on Dr Phil where he said the same thing.
0 Replies

seac

Reply Thu 24 May, 2018 11:21 pm
@Linkat,
I know this is meant for deadbeats still living with their parents. But there are lots of kids who choose to live with their parents almost forever like me. I helped pay for the house and also used considerable amount of my own money to renovate it over the years. Yeah, my favorite place is the basement where my home workshop is, and I sleep down there too. It is a big 5 bedroom house with three stories. Parents are gone, and I am the only occupant until my brother and sisters decide to move back in after their retirement.
Linkat

Reply Fri 25 May, 2018 09:58 am
@seac,
I certainly understand that - there is a difference between a son/daughter living with parents and financially contributing as well as maintaining the up keep. Often times as parents age, they cannot do all this maintaining and having a son or daughter living there may help so they can stay in the family home.

But a 30 year old "child" that sits on his butt and does not contribute at all - which is obvious in this situation where the parents talk of getting a job - not to mention this deadbeat has a son he lost custody of -- wonder why - this "child" is taking advantage.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Fri 25 May, 2018 04:20 pm
Military recruiters should target these frustrated kids.

Recruitment is hard these days.
roger

Reply Fri 25 May, 2018 04:33 pm
@Kolyo,
But, the military does have age limits.
Kolyo

Reply Fri 25 May, 2018 05:19 pm
@roger,
This guy is 30. You can join the Army until 35, and I could join the Air Force at 38, I think (although my vision might be an issue).

One might reasonably ask why the military would want to recruit lazy people, but many of these kids aren't lazy. They just have no idea how to get a job.
0 Replies

Agent1741

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 02:06 pm
Perhaps National service would be an answer?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 08:03 am
@Linkat,

I'm surprised the reporter kept from laughing at this loser during the interview. It was obvious she really, really wanted to roll her eyes at his bullshit.

No, douchecanoe, you don't need to be doing a custody case full-time. You can actually hold down a job during one. Millions of people do so every day of the year.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 09:40 am
@jespah,
whoosh

they sure raised one special guy

can't imagine any of this is helping his chances of increasing his parenting time

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 09:52 am
If my mother'd had her druthers, all twelve of her children would have lived at home with her forever.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 10:18 am
@edgarblythe,
Not mrs. hamburger. The day (literally) after I left for university, she had a workman in, tearing down the wall between my bedroom and the living room. At age 18 I was moved to guest status. She was beyond ready to empty the nest (I was an only child).
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 10:31 am
@ehBeth,
I have a relative with four children and an iron clad rule: Get out at age 18.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 10:52 am
I've seen this guy on TV a couple of times and it's been painful to watch. Could be wrong but he seems like damaged goods, more than just lazy and selfish. Did I get it right that he has a son? If so that kid has the odds stacked against him. The whole thing is sad. Sad for the parents, their grandchild and society.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 11:08 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I agree. He doesn't look capable of surviving out there.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 28 May, 2018 05:03 am
@edgarblythe,
Oh my god, me too!
I adore my kids. My daughter was my roommate for over a year recently, and I haven’t been happier! Of course, she contributed beautifully with exceptional cooking and upkeep.

💕
Linkat

Reply Tue 29 May, 2018 07:28 am
@ehBeth,
Yeah I wonder what caused him to lose custody of his son ... hmm.... perhaps his parents telling him to go get a job and health insurance was actually trying to help him regain custody...I wonder if he ever thought of that.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 29 May, 2018 07:31 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Not mrs. hamburger. The day (literally) after I left for university, she had a workman in, tearing down the wall between my bedroom and the living room. At age 18 I was moved to guest status. She was beyond ready to empty the nest (I was an only child).

We were not quite that bad. However, when my daughter went off to college this year (she had the larger bedroom of the two girls) - her sister got moved into the bigger room and we moved her into the smaller bedroom.

Made sense as her sister now lives her year round while she is just here for summer and vacations - sort of like you - we moved her to the "guest" room in a sense.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 29 May, 2018 07:33 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Oh my god, me too!
I adore my kids. My daughter was my roommate for over a year recently, and I haven’t been happier! Of course, she contributed beautifully with exceptional cooking and upkeep.

💕

Ha ha - my daughter and cooking - she put plastic in the oven! Her younger sister is the cook. I guess we all have our different strengths. But no I do like having her around - it isn't that - just you do want to make sure they are independent and not just taking up space.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Basement dwellers beware - your days are numbered!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 11:20:25