addtl Info needed on Importing into US (for Craven/Others?)

n2n

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 05:31 am
Hey whats up Craven! I hope you have time to answer a few more questions that have me stuck, from your last response. Please reply as soon as you can. I know your time is valuable. Your experience in this field is very valuable, needed, and greatly appreciated. These are just somethings that I picked up thus far and some addtnl questions that I have. I do loans, refis and purchases. If you have any questions or concerns in the mortgage industry just let me know. Im a lot like you in your profession, however I do loans.

quote:
it is too large a set of regions to have a single point of entry that makes sense for all logistics.

n2n
What do you mean by "logistics"? The detailed info between a starting point top the finish line? Can you please explain?

Quote:
warehouses in Fond du Lac and New Jersey and even with only those distribution points I had to work out the best logistics for various scenarios
and would sometimes drop ship to clients.....

nsn
I am such a new comer & getting a lot of helpful info from a vet, please excuse me if my questions seem trivial........"Drop ship to clients" does that mean delivering straight to the clients doorstep?

Quote:
You'll need to do a lot of homework to find what route is best for you but the very simple answer is that you want your warehouse close to where you ship to and your point of entry close to the warehouse.

n2n
Being that I live in Vegas and ports are more than 50 miles out, it seems as if I would need a warehouse nearby the port within 50miles than freight to Vegas & distrubute from there? (If I find that this is cost effective for me) Am I trailing down the right path here or am I missing this lesson that your giving me?

Quote:

Certain regions are cheaper than others for warehousing because of land prices (i.e. Nevada is much cheaper than California) but there are a lot of other factors.

n2n:
What other factors can I expect?

Quote:
it's more expensive to ship from a manufacturing area than to a manufacturing area because you can get deadheads on the way back more often. Little details like that all add up and logistics is about getting it all right on the fly.

n2n:

"deadheads on the way back more often"? Any good logistics companies that you can refer me too?

Quote:
I don't know what you are asking about in regard to warehouse vs. store.

n2n:
If I were distrubuting to say a walmart, sam goodies, best buy, tower records, target is my product sold by the time I get it to there warehouse or do I have to get it to there store front doors for them to place onto shelves?

Quote:
For example, the manufacturer and steamship line would usually use a broker overseas to book the shipment and the frieght forwarder would use a broker for local trucking stateside.

n2n:
do you think it best to use a overseas custom broker for cost purpose? Are ther any additional benefits? Than have a freight broker help me work put the logistics of delivery from the warehouse and forward the product out the ditrubution points?
Maybe Im confused here (it seems like Im getting it but Im not quite there yet, excuse me) "the warehouse" would be on that I rent or buy for immediate storage of my product, rt? This is were home base would be & were the freight company would forward my product to a "Warehouse Home Base for, say a Walmart Target Best Buy Sam Goodies Tower Records etc.,? Than from here the company would pic up the merchandise that they have already bought from me and send them to the individual storefronts in a cities accross the country, rt?

Quote:

FDA flags and inspections are only done with FDA controlled products. Otherwise you only have customs to deal with.

nsn:
I have figurines and dolls to get out to wholesalers across the country & into Canada and eventually worldwide, FDA wont worry about me I imagine, however what I hear you saying is that customs can hang me up as well?

Quote:
By being ready and following all their rules. You will need a warehouse within a certain distance (e.g. 50 miles).

n2n:
by having my warehouse within 50miles this will allow me to get my shipment of the docks as to avoid dummerage cost and to stay within Customs reach for inspection prior to delivery out my destination site?

Quote:
My pleasure, just make sure to start making contacts in the logistics industry. You will need them to do business and they will be a more reliable source of information than I (as I am only here when time permits).

n2n:
Damn Craven thanks for the details you are truly appreciated. I hope not to drive you crazy with my questions I just want to start my business of on the right foot and it seems as if able2know and you provide me with the opportunity to talk to those who have been there and done that, Once again you are greatly appreciated!!!! Thank You Again!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,026 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 02:52 pm
I answered it on your thread.
0 Replies