Nantucket too good to house seasonal workers

Linkat

Reply Wed 16 May, 2018 04:37 pm
Talk about your stuck up snobs. One would think these wealthy elitists would love to have their pinons right nearby to bid on their beck and call, but alas - they do not want them in sight. I guess it ruins their views.

About a year ago, the Nantucket Land Bank, a public agency that owns a golf course, proposed building a dormitory for its seasonal employees who help keep the club running. The dorm is needed to address the island’s housing crisis, which has made it so hard to find affordable apartments that some workers have been sleeping on basement floors or in old shipping containers.

A few neighbors were aghast. Most vocal in opposition has been David Long, the CEO of Liberty Mutual, who owns a stately, cedar-shingled home across the street, a 5,700-square-foot chateau he calls “Summer Wind.”

In one of several letters sent over the past year to Matthew Beaton, the state’s secretary of energy and environmental affairs, he insists any state approval of the dorm would set “a bad precedent.”

“The construction . . . is entirely at odds with ‘the interest of conservation, “The project bears no relationship to the Land Bank’s mission or its expertise.”

The Land Bank was established by the Legislature in 1983 to acquire and preserve the island’s valuable undeveloped land. In the past, the state has generally approved the commissioners’ projects swiftly, including the expansion of the golf course from nine to 18 holes and the construction of a 16-acre ballfield complex elsewhere on the island, Land Bank officials said.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/05/16/nantucket-wealthy-residents-oppose-housing-for-seasonal-employees/pqDbEUkjSFf2QBaN3K8KlL/story.html?s_campaign=bdc:article:stub
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 648 • Replies: 6
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 16 May, 2018 05:00 pm
Mackinac Island (Michigan, USA) houses its seasonal workers in dorms. Most of the workers come from Puerto Rico or Haiti, since American college kids no longer
want to work over the summer.
roger

Reply Wed 16 May, 2018 05:47 pm
@Linkat,
Well, that settles it! I'm not vacationing in - what was it again?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 16 May, 2018 07:27 pm
Gotta wonder where Mr. Long's staff lives.

I'm one of the A2k'ers who has worked for LM over the years. Just gotta roll my eyes.
Linkat

Reply Thu 17 May, 2018 12:07 pm
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

Mackinac Island (Michigan, USA) houses its seasonal workers in dorms. Most of the workers come from Puerto Rico or Haiti, since American college kids no longer
want to work over the summer.

Really! That surprises me - most of the college kids I know fight to get jobs. My daughter looked during her spring break in March just so all the jobs were not taken.

But yeah that is what they want to do here - since it is a small island it isn't feasible for the workers to take a ferry to work every day and way to expensive for that sort of worker to pay to stay there.

These idiots want the workers to do all the dirty work, but God forbid they would be subject to view a dormitory type building -- the horror!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 17 May, 2018 12:08 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Gotta wonder where Mr. Long's staff lives.

I'm one of the A2k'ers who has worked for LM over the years. Just gotta roll my eyes.

He doesn't care as long as he doesn't have to view it. Imagine that having to view a common type building instead of a luxurious mansion! I feel for the dude.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 17 May, 2018 01:32 pm
@Linkat,
A solution would be to build a multipurpose space. During summer months it would be for the seasonal workers. Once that was over, slap on a sign and list it as a luxury hotel.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Nantucket too good to house seasonal workers
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 04:10:11