What is a school’s responsibility on physical threats?

Linkat

Reply Tue 15 May, 2018 07:39 am
There is a girl that started in my daughter’s high school this current school year after moving in with her grandparents. According to my daughter (this is coming from this particular girl herself), she was expelled from her previous school for beating up another girl to the point she needed hospital care. Obviously this particular girl has some personal issues from what seems to stem from her upbringing and that her grandparents now have custody of her.

Flash forward – one of my daughter’s friends was threatened by this “bully” specifically that she was planning on beating her up. This girl was so scared she went to guidance. The school told her there was nothing they could do as it was only a threat.

Now granted I understand that this is coming from some teens where the story could (and likely is) be a bit exaggerated. But curious as to what sort of responsibility a school should have if someone does report being fearful from another student?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 320 • Replies: 5
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 May, 2018 07:58 am
Schools should be proactive in such a situation, but it seems they rarely are.
Linkat

Reply Tue 15 May, 2018 08:29 am
@edgarblythe,
I asked my daughter if her friend talked to her parents about this and she isn't sure.

I told my daughter I was surprised the school did nothing - I told her obviously they cannot punish her as it could be an empty threat. But with her history (and this girl has already been in trouble in the current school year so also at this school) - I would think it would warrant a discussion with her - to at the least make her aware what will happen to her if she has any school rules broken.

Funny in middle school my daughter witnessed boys being inappropriate on the school bus and I called the school - it was taken care of immediately. But maybe because they had already broken the rules.

But no child should feel unsafe going to school.

My even greater fear is this girl does something to my daughter's friend and my daughter jumps in to protect her and she gets hurt or in trouble for fighting. I cannot tell her not to jump in and protect her friend - as that would be the right thing to do.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 15 May, 2018 10:42 am
@edgarblythe,
Well it seems it was not an empty threat. Not sure all the details but my older daughter let me know what was sent to her by my daughter in high school -

this girl went to punch my daughter's friend, fortunately she was able to duck and the girl hit the wall instead. Two teachers had to stop her. One is about 100 pounds soaking wet the other though heavier is probably about 5'2" . My daughter was there but it seems it happened so quick she did not get involved. Her friend went home as she was terrified.

Not sure on anything else.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 May, 2018 12:12 pm
@Linkat,
To think it could have been prevented.
Linkat

Reply Tue 15 May, 2018 05:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yeah - so the girl is suspended - don't know for how long. According to my daughter she is not expelled because she didn't actually hurt anyone.

My daughter's friend - her parents are trying to get a restraining order on this girl.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What is a school’s responsibility on physical threats?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 12:54:46