Using headhunters...yay, or nay?

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 03:25 pm
So I'm starting to look for a new job. No, no, no...I'm still keeping my part time job "
International Man Whore" on the side. Just want to use my ABC's elswhere.

If anyone has any experience with this...is it worth going to a headhunter? I don't know
too much about how they work, but from what I understand, the company you end up getting a
job from pays the headhunter directly. I'm just wondering if this affects your pay.

A friend of mine thinks headhunters are a waste of time, I'm just not sure what's to lose
by going through one.

Any experience, knowledge, advice?

Twisted Evil
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,553 • Replies: 10
No top replies

fishin

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 04:11 pm
I've used a few. The pros are that they run down the leads for you and handle passing out your resume (saving you some trouble..) and some companies hire from Headhunters exclusively. The good headhunters also know the industry and know what fair compensation is so the companies don't get away with low-balling you on their offers.

On the con side many seem to be totally worthless. I dealt with one that just seemed to be sending resumes out in the hopes that something/anything would come from it (nothing did..). Some make themselves so obnoxious that the HR people end up totally ignoring them.

I haven't tried this but a friend has and she's had good luck with it. Contact a few HR people from companies in your industry and let them know what you are up to. If you tell them you aren't looking for a job with them they'll probably be more open. You can ask them who the reputable Headhunters are around you and hopefully you'll be able to collect a few good contacts and list of firms to stay away from.

In my own experirnce using a headhunter hasn't had any negative effect on saleries I was offered. I'd guess the company knows how the game is played when they deal with these people and most don't take it out on the potential hires. Your mileage may vary of course..
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 04:23 pm
Slappy- Get yourself some recommendations from people who have used headhunters in your field, to separate the quality from the junk. A lot of jokers just try to squeeze a client into the positions that they have available, rather than really working to see what is best for the client.

My son worked for a headhunting company for a very short time years ago. What went on there disgusted him, and he characterized his collegues as "whores"!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 04:26 pm
I know the "whore" phrase well...I work with a couple.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 05:29 pm
Got my last job through a headhunter, and it was the best $$ I'd ever made. He definitely went to bat for me, and I got more than I would have known to ask for.

But that was when the economy was booming, and companies were going begging for IT.

Now, they call me all the time or write to me, and no one can get me anything that I can't get myself. And, what's worse, is some call for inside information on my last two jobs. Sheesh! As for the great headhunter, the work was so sparse for him over the last year that he moved to California where I assume he is happily placing people.

<sigh> I miss Scotty.
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 05:48 pm
Slappy, just read an article warning job seekers not to use headhunters via computer. The resumes are sold to people who buy such lists, and you KNOW the information placed on a resume. The article said the resume information can be used to steal your identity, embezzle you, or worse.

Don't think you are discussing computer HH...but, just in case

Tex-Star Good luck to you
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 06:13 pm
This isn't the best of times to be using a headhunter. The job market is poor.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 06:34 am
In some industries head-hunters are literally the only way to go, as there is no other way in. You need to find out what the standard is where you're trying to go. The place I was before my current employer, sent all individually submitted resumes to head-hunters for pre-screening. My current employer does almost all of its searching through on-line services like Workopolis, though it does use head-hunters for my specific job. We're in hyper-growth right now, and the h.r. folks say they need the assistance of the head-hunters to track down appropriate candidates. I guess that's why they call them head-hunters.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 08:57 am
So I guess I gotta do some more research and find out if I need a headhunter for the field I'm looking into. At least I've got part of my homework out of the way.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 04:04 pm
What's the fee structure like?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 05:14 pm
I think most don't charge you a fee, the employer pays the headhunter. Although some do: My roomate's friend went to one that wanted $5000! All set with that, unless they can double my income.
0 Replies