Is R&B Music Dead?

SlyEnemy

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 01:14 am
booman2 wrote:
Tenoch,
It's that money thing. The smarter one's enlist a popular Hip-hop star for asong to air on radio, then you buy the CD, and get the Pure efforts.

You just copied what I was about to say. Hip-Hop and R&B stars are the biggest music whores I've ever seen. Where there's money, there's a way. Mariah Carey and Westlife anyone?
0 Replies

just some random person

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 02:51 am
hopefully it is dead...damn i hope so
0 Replies

joylee3333

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 07:40 pm
I don't think R&B is dead but its dying. I think what happend is that a lot of artist went pop. And once you get mainstream into anything they just water it down. I hate listening to the radio stations now. Everything is about being in the club. And the man cheats on his woman at the club and he is sorry. oH and let's not forget all of the other songs about men pleasing women and via buying them stuff at the mall and sexual techniques. I am so tired of the tired lyrics! What happened to the writers did they just drop dead or what? Where are the instruments? I am 27 years old and now i listen to oldies everyday because I can't take it anymore. These people that they call singers are no better than a back up singer! Look at poor Ruben Studerd he has a beautiful voice and the only crap they could give him to sing was I'm Sorry for 2004 pardon me but "What the Hell is that"?
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 08:14 pm
Joylee,
....I believe it is in fact on the rise. Check out my list on the first page. It's under my former moniker, just look for the flapping dove.
0 Replies

Tenoch

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 09:02 pm
I think joylee is right. Rand B is tired. usher is probably the only artist that i like that kind of contributes that kind of stuff. I really like 'you got it bad"' and "let it burn" cause cause they were good breakup songs, and I was going through a breakup at the time.
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 09:20 pm
If joylee is right, and i'm wrong, does that mean the almost twenty artist I named on the first page, don't song R&B, or you don't think they're any good? (fab617,look for the dove. )
0 Replies

joylee3333

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 03:27 am
different levels of r&B
I think there are different levels of R&B. People like Aretha Franklin thats classic r&b. You don't have to be apart of that generation to appricate that kind of music. the 60's and 70's R&B (gap band, earthwind and fire)and funk that's good too. 80's had great artists like Luther, Maze. 90's black street, mint condition, tony toni tone) But this is were the problem begain. Groups like SWV and (that group of 3 girls that were under P.Diddy, they did a song with LL) any way i can't think of there names) and 702. Anybody notice they sound like Alvin and the chipmunks? But when I was in highschool those groups were IT! It wasn't until the radio got flooded with these digitized voices that I begain to say something is wrong. SWV's lyrics were very empty but it was the beat that had us singing along and them selling albums. Now if you notice producers don't want talent they want looks and a show. Look at making of da band. Those girls can't sing. But if they could sing they can't dance and they would get cut. Look at american idol they have to sing different styles of songs to make it. If you don't have the voice for several different types of music and you don't" look like a star you get cut. What if Jill Scott had to live up to the "look" what if her talent was based on dancing also. We would have missed out on a great singer. During the "new Jack" era music was fun and for the club. But when the brothers got down to the soul they could make some good music like"Before I let you go" after New Jack died we made a wrong turn somewhere. I am just hoping that stations like XM radio, internet radio, and people burning albums will start to wake up the music industry to tell them you can't keep serving us crap.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 04:14 am
Like King Curtis, hate Usher. Classic R&B is dead, but hip-hop with singing and no rapping remains. In the UK, 'R&B' now seems to mean any manufactured pop music sung by black people. So two singers might sound identical, but if one of them is black he is R&B and if the other is white he is pop. In America, 'R&B' now seems to refer to black music with at least some vague references to hop-hop, but with no good beats and no good rapping, just horrible melodies and over-production.
0 Replies

Tenoch

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 10:20 am
I'l just make a list of groups/artists that I hate and like. If i was 16 again maybe i would like some of the stuff i hate now.

Hate:

Ashanti
Jagged edge(garbage)
112 (except for "cupid")
jodeci/kc&jojo
R-kelly
joe
avant
MARIO WINANS or any other on BAD Boy
destiny's child
ruben studdard
carl thomas
loyyd
monica

Like:

John legend
Musiq
Usher,
christina aguilera
jill scot
alicia keys
Pink(mostly for being herself)
Lauren hill rap/hiphop
erica badu
toni toni toni
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 03:26 pm
Aright Tenoch,
....You got some nice ones in there, especially, J.Scott,Lauren Hill, C. Aguilara..and a few more.
....To me the closest artist of today to classic R&B are Pink, Joss Stone, and Anthony Hamilton. This is Ironic because the two females are White, and I'm Black. Pink does the most intended R&B on her first album. But her voice sounds soulful whatever she does. If you want the best old school artists, you can also check out Anthony Hamilton, and Johnny Gill. Al Green and Queen Latifah have a song out that blew me away. Ijnew she could sing, but when I heard the song I didn't know it was her. I thought it was Al and one of his contemporaries.
0 Replies