Racism in The Color Purple and Their Eyes were watching God

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 04:43 pm
Does anyone have any good ideas for an essay on racism/inter racism, which are both defined in this context as negative white/black relationships, in the above two books? I have some ideas but could do with more! All suggestions will be gratefully received and pondered upon. Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,798 • Replies: 5
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 05:29 pm
Hmm... are you sure that's what "inter racism" means in context? One thing about both of those books is that they're firmly in the black milieu, overwhelmingly black characters in a black environment. I've read both but a while ago, I more readily think of the stratification within black society than white racism (white people oppressing black people somehow). How Mister treats Celie, some of the stuff about those who were born and raised in the all-black town (I forget what it was called, the one based on where Zora Neale Hurston actually grew up) vs. those from elsewhere, etc.

I'm sure there's white racism in the books too, but all the characters that remain in my memory are black, and all of the events that remain in my memory are between black characters.

I've been meaning to re-read "Their Eyes Were Watching God" for a while now though, maybe I will now. If so, I'll get back to you.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 05:53 pm
In the color purple, there was the mayor and his wife who Harpo's wife has to work for (can't remember her name) and how she was treated. I think that whole thing started because she told the mayor's wife she didn't want to work for her, and that was a big no-no for a black woman to tell a white woman that she wouldn't work for her.

As for inter-racism, there is what soz said, Celie was dark and looked down on. There was a lot of mention of skin color but I'm not sure how it plays out. Squeaky was 'yellow', Shug was somewhere in between Squeaky and Celie. I'll have to re-read it to see. I can't remember anything about Their Eyes Were Watching God -- at least not by the title. I'm pretty awful at remembering names and titles of things.
0 Replies

whiteviolets

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 04:57 am
Thanks very much. We agree abt the definition! However, my son drafted his essay based on inter racism meaning black/black but his teacher has told him that it means white/black and to redraft his essay! She said intra - racism was the term for white/black and she would not let him change the title to intra-racism so that he cd use his existing essay. So any furthre help wd be greatly appreciated as time is short and this is important coursework.THANKS!
0 Replies

Duke of Lancaster

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 01:47 am
I wrote a Critical Lens essay using The colour Purple and Their Eyes Were Watching God in high school 5yrs ago. I hated the task......but then again it was Black History Month. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

heremia

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 08:08 pm
Defining Inter racism
Racism has many definitions, the most common and widely accepted being the belief that members of one race are intrinsically superior or inferior to members of other races.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism

Inter racism is the same as the definition as racism, only it is all that racism is, only it exists within the race of people themselves.

This definition to the original message posted on this website is 2 years out of date, however, for those who may be looking for a definition on this particular topic then here it is.
0 Replies