Apple converter box question

chai2

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2018 07:05 pm
Ok techy people. I've been told 2 different things by 2 different people at Best Buy.

I bought a couple of smart TV's at Best Buy a few months ago, and took them down to the house in Mexico. I can't remember the brand off the top of my head. A friend is going to go over the house and check.

I need to buy 2 Apple boxes that will get hooked up so we can access American Netflix, Pandora, etc. There are 2 different kinds of boxes. One is about $150, the other $200. I only need the 32GB, as all we do really is watch TV.

Anyway, the salesman at the store asked me if I had a 4K or 1080 TV. I said...."uhhhh, I dunno, I'll check" He was really confusing to be honest, and he made it sound that if I didn't get the right one, "the screen would be blank"
He really liked to obfuscate.

I just called a different Best Buy, and this guy said it didn't matter as far as it actually working, maybe wouldn't produce the most crystal clear viewing experience. As if I care.

So friends, does anyone know which is true?

Anyway, I won't buy until month end, since there's only a 15 day return policy, and I'm going there for maybe 2 weeks. However, I really don't want to go down with the wrong ones re the hassle.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 575 • Replies: 6
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2018 07:58 am
@chai2,
Quote:
Anyway, the salesman at the store asked me if I had a 4K or 1080 TV. I said...."uhhhh, I dunno, I'll check" He was really confusing to be honest, and he made it sound that if I didn't get the right one, "the screen would be blank"
He really liked to obfuscate.

No. His answer as you seemed to describe it was pretty straight forward. You really should have known what your TV's resolution was by now. How expensive is your TV? If it's a really cheap tv set? It's likely no better than a 1080p (or in some cases 780p).

The same thing can be said with a 4k bluray device. It's not backwards compatible with a 1080p television.
chai2

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2018 09:36 am
@tsarstepan,
The TV’s were bought a few months ago and I took them down to Mexico on my last trip. They are both still in the box and sitting in the locked owners closet in the house I have not even spent a night at yet. That’s why I didn’t know the resolution off the top of my head.

I’ve been preparing an empty shell of a house mostly long distance since November so the Tv resolution skipped my mind.

My friend sent a photo of one of the boxes and they are 4k’s.

Ok, what you say makes sense. I am useless when it come to tech knowledge which is why I asked here
There were other questions I had to the salesman, and I guess you would have had to been there to see/hear that overall he was not trying to be helpful, and was talking over my head. Again, I was separating out that one issue here.

I am curious though why the 2nd salesman would tell me the opposite. Again, was getting 2 opposing stories, and wanted to know which was correct.

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2018 09:41 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I am curious though why the 2nd salesman would tell me the opposite. Again, was getting 2 opposing stories, and wanted to know which was correct.

You're being too nice and giving Best Buy employees the credit that they allegedly know what they selling. They barely make over minimum wage, likely work part-time hours and get literally zero benefits. Do you think that Best Buy can hire people who really are tech savvy and knowledgeable? I wouldn't trust their advice as far as they can throw a boxed 40 inch 4k television.
chai2

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2018 10:24 am
@tsarstepan,
Ah. Ok.

Since i’m A tech moron I didn’t know the knowledge, capabilities of the people at BB.

I appreciate your knowledge and explanation.

I’m going to buy 4 boxes. 2 for me and 2 for my BFF down there.

He’s been invaluable as my local person, and I finally talked him into getting himself 2 new sets for himself. One for himself and one for his 90 year old dad who has been watching his Westerns and such on some ancient thing.

I’m getting him the boxes in large part so the dad can enjoy American Netflix.

Now i’ve got to tell him to tell me what kind of TV’s he’s going to get.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2018 12:56 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Since i’m A tech moron I didn’t know the knowledge, capabilities of the people at BB.

Maybe I'm too cynical but you can stretch this sentiment towards every big box store: Walmarts, Target, KMart, etc.... The corporations don't really care about their employees in the first place therefore they get the worst kind of apathetic retail employees. Employees who don't have any incentive to care about what their companies are selling....
Quote:
I appreciate your knowledge and explanation.

Thanks. But it's not very extensive. Just picked up a few things by simply watching a few handful of tech related reviews from relatively credible media outlets.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2018 04:17 pm
Update tsar.

Today I had to go into a store that happened to be next to the BB I called last night. I figure WTH and went in. I actually talked to one of the mangagers of the TV dept, a woman.

She said that while it's best to get the box that matches the resolution, you can definately interchange them.
She had no idea why the first guy said "the screen would be blank" if you used the wrong one.
Without saying as much, she indicated he was just blowing me off.

Anyway, I guess I'll get the 4K for myself, not sure about friends. He may not even buy new TV's for awhile, as he's going to be traveling in the States the same time as I'll be in Mexico.
I should push him to get the TV's before he goes, so I can take the Tech guy Jorge over there to set him up while I'm there.

First World Problems.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Apple converter box question
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 11:57:39