Firefox and Thunderbird

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 01:44 pm
I installed these programs yesterday, and uninstalled them today because of the deleterious effect they seemed to have on all my computer functions. Does anyone besides PDiddie (and presumably Drew Daddy) have any experience with them? I like the sounds of these programs, and everything I have read makes them seem really good, with all kinds of neat bells and whistles, especially in the area of Search. But if they do not work for me, what care I how good they be?

Seriously, I would like to hear from people who have been a)happy with these Mozilla offshoots, and b) unhappy with them - and, in either case, why.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 927 • Replies: 10
No top replies

husker

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 02:09 pm
I love them both and have my family using them on 4 computers
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 02:26 pm
Firefox
What did you switch from, Husker? I would have to switch from MSN/IE, and I have a feeling that's where the difficulty lies.

Did you have any problems setting them up?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 02:31 pm
I have MSN\IE still installed in all computers
also firefox and Tbird
2 are XPro
1 is win2000
1 is linux SuSe
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 03:40 pm
Firefox and Thunderbird
Goodness, Husker, you do range widely! It sounds as though the MSN/IE situation hasn't affected your Firefox installation; I'll have to look further for a reason why I had so much trouble.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 03:47 pm
As I mentioned on my thread, Tom, Firefox worked like a charm from the moment I installed it some months ago. Pages loaded rapidly (much faster than IE), the tabbed window feature excellent...

I was only keeping IE around for updates.

My problems began with Microsoft's latest patch.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 06:09 pm
used both programs and no problems
on 1 XPro
and 1 Win2k
machine
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 09:10 am
FireFox and Thunderbird
I expect that you all have highspeed Internet connections of some sort; I have dial-up. Perhaps that is the problem? Nothing that I have read implied that Firefox wouldn't work with dial-up, but maybe that's the case.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 06:43 pm
Tom, did you buy your CD from the Mozilla website, or from a retail store?

I'm of the impression that you can only get it by ordering online, but if you won't be using yours I might be interested in acquiring it...
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 06:48 pm
FireFox and Thunderbird
I got it from Mozilla, along with the Guidebook to F & T. I'd willingly let you have it, but I'm going to try again. There are some instructions that I think I don't understand properly, one of them being (with Thunderbird) entering the address of the email server for sending email. What would that address be?

Anyway, if I've been using MSN/IE and want Firefox for my default browser, what happens to IE? Is it still there lurking in the background?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 06:57 pm
Re: FireFox and Thunderbird
Tomkitten wrote:
Anyway, if I've been using MSN/IE and want Firefox for my default browser, what happens to IE? Is it still there lurking in the background?

Yep. I think you'll still need it to get Windows updates, as FF is unsupported by MS...
0 Replies