Latest Microsoft patch hates Firefox

PDiddie

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 11:44 am
...or something like that. I'm sure our techno-overlords can tell me what's up.

This morning Microsoft completed downloading this week's Security Update -- and promptly froze up upon install. So I rebooted, and during the scan (right before Windows opens) I noticed a handful of messages indicating Firefox's preferences had to have their "values truncated".

Sure enough, when I opened the browser, everything was gone -- home page, all bookmarks, etc.

After pondering that awhile, I realized that I could uninstall and reinstall from Mozilla's website, pulling over the favorites and such in IE and at least have something to work from.

So I did that. Uninstalled Firefox.

Then I went to their site to download it again. And IE won't allow it. "403 Forbidden".

Downloads.com (CNet) gets started on the download (only when I "Save Target As...") but Windows jumps in again, saying that the it cannot connect and to "try again later".

Any suggestions? (Thanks in advance...)

edit: 404 is actually a 403
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,125 • Replies: 18
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 11:52 am
Coincidence. Purely coincidence*.

*And by "coincidence" I mean "Microsoft is watching everything you do."
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 01:19 pm
Latest Microsoft
Welcome to the club, PDiddie, welcome to the club!

I installed Firefox and Thunderbird yesterday. My computer promptly slowed down to a rather jerky walk, and neither of the Mozilla programs worked properly. (BTW, I used the CDs to do the installs.)

On top of that I received an obvious "phishing" message, purportedly from MSN and tried to send a copy (typed by me) to both Billing and Tech Support, but could not get it through. I plan to try again now that I have uninstalled Firefox and Thunderbird, and my computer is back to normal.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 01:20 pm
Latest Microsoft
Welcome to the club, PDiddie, welcome to the club!

I installed Firefox and Thunderbird yesterday. My computer promptly slowed down to a rather jerky walk, and neither of the Mozilla programs worked properly. (BTW, I used the CDs to do the installs.)

On top of that I received an obvious "phishing" message, purportedly from MSN and tried to send a copy (typed by me) to both Billing and Tech Support, but could not get it through. I plan to try again now that I have uninstalled Firefox and Thunderbird, and my computer is back to normal.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 01:24 pm
Latest Microsoft
Sorry about the duplicatation - don't know what happened.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 02:38 pm
Damn!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 03:21 pm
Buggers. I hate Microsoft. Glad I didn't download anything last night when prompted. I probably woulda gone postal.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 03:25 pm
Firefox has worked flawlessly (at least compared to this POS IE) for a few months now.

Until today.

Anticipating these queries, I have run Ad-Aware, SpyBot and Stinger, none of which found anything (I run these frequently; have for years, no issues).

Waiting for the smart people to show up...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 03:28 pm
I think Firefox is not ASP friendly. That might explain why MS sees it as a threat.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 04:55 pm
ASP?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 05:03 pm
Active Server Pages. It's a microsoft proprietary technology for developing web pages with dynamic content. If someone develops a site that takes full advantage of all of the features of asp, but the browser doesn't support it fully, then you get sites that don't behave as expected unless viewed with IE. I noticed a few sites that don't behave for Firefox. Not many, but a few.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 09:31 am
I didn't mean to play 'stump the experts', really...

Craven? Monger? timber? Don77? Anybody?

Little help over here?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 10:23 am
Try uninstalling the updates (individually) to see if you can isolate which one is causing Firefox to fail.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 04:34 pm
Thanks, Drew.

I did a System Restore, to a point before the updates were installed, with no luck downloading either Firefox nor my AVG update.

So the updates are apparently not the problem.

My file system (FAT32) may be damaged, according to the advice I'm getting elsewhere.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 07:19 pm
The updates work just fine with Firefox. It's likely something else but what you have described so far doesn't seem to contain the clue and it will be hard for anyone to diagnose it remotely.
0 Replies

Don77

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 08:52 pm
Quote:
I did a System Restore, to a point before the updates were installed, with no luck downloading either Firefox nor my AVG update.

So the updates are apparently not the problem.

Are you saying AVG wont update either ?
Lets get a look at whats running,
Go to this Post Download HJT and post it in the computer forum,
Also,
Please Download
Silent Runners
Please create a folder for it please, Then double click on the program, It will save a notebook file in the same folder, Open that, copy, paste the log in the same thread,

Next go Here
Download Hostfile reader. Open the program, click on Scan for hosts, click Use note pad, copy and paste that log back aswell..
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 08:41 am
Thanks, Don.

I was unable to download several of these components. I received the same error messages as previously described: a 403 Forbidden when clicking on 'download', and when right-clicking and "Save Target as..." I get a download box that begins but is seconds later superceded by the red error box that says "Internet Explorer cannot open...(name of file) ...it is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later."

I was unable to download:

CW Shredder
Trend Micro Free Scan
Hostile Reader
and the HJT file as well.

The BitDefender Online Scan did not start or run either.

I ran Spybot and Ad-Aware (they have been run regulary on this computer for its entire lifetime -- six months -- and they are the latest, up-to-date versions). Spybot regularly finds 4 DSO exploits, and "fixes" them each time. Today it also found a Mediaplex and Avenue A Inc. problem which it fixed.

Ad-Aware found two tracking cookies and removed them.

AVG 6.0 (it WILL update, it will NOT upgrade to 7.0 -- download prevented as described previously) found no virii.

Cache, history and cookies all deleted from IE prior to posting this.

Silent Runners downloaded flawlessly and is in my Spyware/Antivurus folder.

Am waiting patiently for your next instruction. Thanks again.
0 Replies

Don77

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 08:55 am
Hi PDiddie
Lets see what the HJT,Silent Runners and hostfile logs look like please,
Start a fresh topic in the computer forum ( As that would be the proper place for it Very Happy )

Quote:
Spybot regularly finds 4 DSO exploits, and "fixes" them each time.

There was a bug in spybot and we can get this squared away easy enough,
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 09:41 am
Don77 wrote:
Hi PDiddie
Lets see what the HJT,Silent Runners and hostfile logs look like please,
Start a fresh topic in the computer forum ( As that would be the proper place for it Very Happy )

Done:

Here.
0 Replies