A "Kiddy-Lit." Digression: Or, the Power of Pooh.

LarryBS

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 04:41 pm
It does now. Laughing
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 04:51 pm
Pooh Juice:

http://www2.coca-cola.com/presscenter/nr_20020927_australia_pooh_juice_drink.html
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 05:37 pm
I have said it before and I'll say it again, only Classic Pooh characters are worth having. Those Disney monstrosities are horrible, nasty travesties of what was once a beautiful thing. When I had less than 24 hours to spend in NYC last fall... I visited Pooh & Co. at the library. SOME of us have priorities.

Pooh Juice indeed. Yuck. Double-Yuck.

I am, however, an Eeyore-ite, though most of my friends (alas, those dismal few that I have) are be-Tiggered.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 05:47 pm
The sozlet got some Duplos from grandparents for Christmas, including a Duplo Pooh. (His feet fit on the Duplo nubs.) (Duplos are big Legos.) Sozlet LOVED Pooh. I mean, inseparable.

So, we always get videos from the library, and I saw a Pooh video and thought hey maybe she'd like that. She did. A LOT.

We are now in Disney Pooh central. I have Pooh juice in my pantry. She drinks it from a Pooh cup. She has a Pooh toothbrush. I am semi-permanently Owl, E.G. is semi-permanently Eeyore. (As in, "Eeyore's home from work!") She is Pooh or Piglet or Tigger, depending on mood. (It is definitely cute to be bounced by a toddler Tigger, though.)

I have a few of the real original stories and she likes that, so I'm trying to steer her towards that and away from Disney. That is, thankfully, going rather well.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 05:50 pm
Oh, I just saw about Rackham illustrations! Right here, not 3 feet away, hangs my 1906 limited edition (1/500) Rackham illustration of "The fairies have their tiffs with the birds." I adore Rackham, and this is one of my favorites, though subtle -- the snooty fairies, the disgruntled and glaring sparrows.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 08:40 pm
I bet thats worth a pretty panny. Laughing

I just checked ebay - lots of great Rackham stuff.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 09:15 pm
Very punny. Laughing

Here's my print, though the colors are much less garish, and you can see the birds' expressions much better:

http://gerdesdesign.com/rackham10.htm
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 09:29 pm
Very nice, I think thats in the book I checked out - Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 09:30 pm
Right, it is. (That's what brought it to mind.)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 12:32 am
http://fool.exler.ru/sm/wc.gif
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 12:33 am
http://fool.exler.ru/sm/wcj.gif
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 01:39 am
that is very graphic for a kiddy lit thread, Wilso!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 23 May, 2016 04:32 am
@LarryBS,
LarryBS wrote:

dlow - Tuck Everlasting: 10 year old Winnie is daydreaming about running away when she meets the Tuck family, who have found a spring that may give them eternal life, but if you drink it when you're 10, you'll remain 10 (forever?) and never grow up. Winnie learns a lot about life and death and eternity and eventually makes some hard choices. A great story by Natalie Babbitt.

Later to be explored also in Anne RIce's vampire book...was it The Vampire Lestat.....where the little girl is turned and eventually wearied of her old mind and child body.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 23 May, 2016 04:47 am
There was an excellent moom picture, Finding Neverland, which bore very little relation to reality, but it's a wonderful film. Johnny Depp plays J. M. Barrie, opposite Kate Winslet and Julie Christie. It's kind of about never growing up. Finding Neverland

But i digress . . .
dlowan

Reply Mon 23 May, 2016 05:02 am
@Setanta,
I must look at that.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 23 May, 2016 05:04 am
@Setanta,
Please do.
Digress I mean
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 23 May, 2016 05:11 am
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ac/Harry_Colebourne_and_Winnie.jpg

The real Winnie the Pooh on Salisbury Plain in December, 1914

The Canadian officer in the picture was Lt. Harry Colebourn, a veterinary surgeon seconded to the Fort Gerry Horse. He bought the bear cub from a hunter for $20 in western Ontario on a railway platform while en route to his embarkation port. He named her for his adopted home town, Winnipeg, Manitoba. They smuggled the bear cub into England, and left her at the London Zoological Garden when they went to France.

You'll be happy to know, i'm sure, that Lt. Colebourn survived the war.
dlowan

Reply Mon 23 May, 2016 05:22 am
@Setanta,
What of the bear?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 23 May, 2016 05:24 am
@Setanta,
Oh, I have seen it. On a long haul flight I believe.

It's an amazing story...the deaths, the fate of the boys. Barrie was gifted but destructive.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 23 May, 2016 05:31 am
Of course, the moom picture was based on actual fiction.