Can you help me I’m trying to figure out what happened

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2018 09:48 am
So I went in to try and trade in my lease because it was due. Long story short I have a repo on my credit and my credit is too low to get a mustang gt. So I tried to refinance my car that I was trying to trade in a v6 mustang. Well the guy told me I couldn’t refinance because of the lease and my car has too many miles (50001) and my buy out is $15038.75 and so then they put me in a Ford Focus st that’s like $16000 with over 90k miles on it and now I’m trying to figure out what the hell just happened

jespah

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2018 10:57 am
@cm2476545,
What happened is it looks like you don't use credit well and as a result you get buffaloed into things that you can't afford.

A few things, in no particular order:
  • If you have to refinance an automobile lease, then it means the payments are too high. So don't get into this predicament in the first place. This means leasing less expensive vehicles.
  • And leasing right now is not a good economic move anyway. What % APR are you paying these days? I just looked up at a local (to me) Ford dealer and a 7-year lease hits an APR of 6.9% (lowest rate they offer is 1.9% for 3 years. It hits 3.9% for a 5-year lease). The prime lending rate is currently 3.75%. This means you're getting hit for higher interest rates (probably) than what you could get if you saved your $$.
  • Interest adds up because it compounds, maybe even daily. I looked up on https://www.carpaymentcalculator.net/ - For a $27k car loan for 5 years at 3.9% with nothing down gives a monthly payment of just over $500 - but in interest you're paying over $3k extra, bringing total cost to $30k
  • Using that same calculator, for a $16k vehicle but the same 5 years, nothing down, 3.9% rate (since I don't know your rates, I'm trying to make an educated guess here) gives you a monthly payment of almost $300 and the interest you pay is again about 10% of the overall vehicle cost.
  • Those are better payments but they are still not great.Consider what a $300 monthly payment is. If you make $25 per hour then you're pulling in $50k annually before taxes. Your 2018 tax rate, according to https://www.taxformcalculator.com/tax/50000.html gives you monthly income of a little over $3300. Even with the lower cost car you are paying out about 10% of your monthly income.
  • Plus you've got housing, right? Medical bills? Insurance? Clothes? Gas? Repairs? Oil or gas or electric (maybe even all three)?
So what happened is you were pushed into the kind of car you are more likely to be able to afford. The dealer actually did you a favor.

But understand one thing.

Poor people stay poor, and middle class people can become poor, through a number of factors. But one of them is spending beyond their means. More expensive cars are beyond your means - and they aren't doing you any favors when it comes to trying to get your credit score to recover.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Can you help me I’m trying to figure out what happened
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 04:52:08