What happens if someone just sleeps 4 hours every day?

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2018 12:58 pm
What happens if someone just sleeps 4 hours every day?

Specially 4 hours at night. I mean from 04:00 to 8:00.

Anyway, another hours also could be.

I want the information in order to make some kind of experiment.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 510 • Replies: 8

centrox

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2018 01:01 pm
Sleep deprivation is the condition of not having enough sleep; it can be either chronic or acute. A chronic sleep-restricted state can cause fatigue, daytime sleepiness, clumsiness and weight loss or weight gain. It adversely affects the brain and cognitive function. However, in a subset of cases sleep deprivation can, paradoxically, lead to increased energy and alertness and enhanced mood; it has even been used as a treatment for depression.
0 Replies

ekename

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2018 06:23 pm
@TommyKnocker,
Quote:
I want the information in order to make some kind of experiment.

Will there be electrodes? I love experiments with electrodes.

The first thing you may notice is that you're awake for 20 hours every day, but don't lose sleep over it.

Use the extra time to research the plethora of studies already conducted.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2018 07:11 pm
@TommyKnocker,
Sleep deprivation is dangerous. This type of experiment on humans is unethical.

There is no scientific benefit to doing this, the research has been done.
centrox

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2018 01:35 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Sleep deprivation is dangerous. This type of experiment on humans is unethical.

There is no scientific benefit to doing this, the research has been done.

The OP's user name suggests a certain devil-may-care attitude (that's a polite way of putting it).
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2018 07:10 am
@TommyKnocker,
I hope you don't need to drive or operate heavy machinery.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2018 07:46 am
In the UK, driving while sleep-deprived is considered as bad as, or worse than, driving while drunk or on drugs. The Great Heck rail crash, widely known as the Selby rail crash, was a high-speed train accident that occurred at Great Heck near Selby, North Yorkshire, England on the morning of 28 February 2001. Ten people died, including the drivers of both trains involved, and 82 people suffered serious injuries. It remains the worst rail disaster of the 21st century in the United Kingdom. The driver of a car had fallen asleep at the wheel of a Land Rover and veered off a highway down an embankment and through a fence onto a rail track, and an express struck the car, derailed and ran into a train coming the other way. An investigation, including reconstruction of the Land Rover to demonstrate that it was not mechanically defective, concluded that he had been driving in a sleep-deprived condition, and had not applied the brakes as it went down the embankment. It later transpired that he had stayed up the previous night talking on the telephone to a woman he had met through an Internet dating agency. He got 5 years.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2018 04:00 pm
@TommyKnocker,
In the 1950s and -60s. the United States Army conducted studies on two conditions--the effect of frequent shift changes (which disrupt sleep patterns) and the effect of sleep deprivation. They were able to review the effects on tens of thousands of service members. During the Second World War, the Army had provided amphetamines to front-line troops, and Army surgeons alleged that sleep deprivation is dangerous. The studies showed that routine, low-level sleep deprivation, from frequent shift changes or the failure to get eight hours of sleep each night, contributed to the degradation of motor skills, and characterized the decision-making processes of sleep-deprived individuals as being flawed, potentially fatally flawed. They determined that chronic, acute sleep deprivation (such as your four hours per night) can lead to what the researchers described as classic psychosis. That is, it lead to a loss of contact with external reality. I know this because I was personally very sleep deprived just before and during my return to the United States from overseas. On the "red tail," the flight back to the States, I went about 60 hours without sleep before, during and after the flight. I guarantee you that I had completely lost touch with reality.

DJs who have gone without sleep for days during radio station promotion stunts have reported this same state of a complete divorce from reality. Sleep research is now a relatively mature study--amphetamines were discovered in the 1880s, so there is a mountain of methodologically sound data on the effects of such drugs and on sleep deprivation in general.

You're playing with fire, and not only are you likely to get burned, but others could very well suffer. The fact that you are probably now chronically sleep-deprived means that your judgment is sufficiently impaired that you cannot recognize the harm you are doing to yourself. Beware that you aren't harming others. Listen to the people in this thread, and stop playing with fire.
0 Replies

Amoh5

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2018 02:58 pm
You'll turn into a cuckoo clock, and I suspect you already have...
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What happens if someone just sleeps 4 hours every day?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 04:10:57