conversions between British pounds now and in other times

heyas

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 04:01 pm
How would you calculate/where would you find out how many of today's British pounds are equal to one 1547 British pound?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,178 • Replies: 7
No top replies

mrhags

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 11:27 pm
http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

there might be something at that website
0 Replies

Instigate

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 11:27 pm
Try this website. If I did it right, than the value of a pound in 1547 would be roughly equal to 283 pounds from 2002.

http://eh.net/hmit/ppowerbp/result.php?year_early=1547&use%5B%5D=CPI&pound71=1&shilling71=&pence71=&amount=1&year_source=1547&year_result=2002
0 Replies

heyas

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 02:20 pm
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you both so so much Exclamation Very Happy Exclamation Very Happy Exclamation Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 01:47 pm
Surely such a comparison must be made very carefully to avoid being meaningless - i mean, how much did a mobile phone cost in 1547, or a railway ticket, or a month's internet access?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 12:57 am
Might I kindly remind of A2K's PORTAL?

You can the already given link twice:
in the Calculators subcategory as well as in History :wink:
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 05:16 am
I cannot help thinking that the inflation factor of 583 between the 16th century and now is complete nonsense. I would love to know how it was arrived at.

For example, in England in the late 19th century a housemaid might expect to get £12 per year plus accommodation.

A similar post in a hotel in 2004 would get around £12,000 per year. So that's 1,000 times (or 100,000%) wage inflation straight away.

You can't compare apples and oranges, except on "gee-whiz" web sites for kids.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 06:21 am
contrex wrote:
I cannot help thinking that the inflation factor of 583 between the 16th century and now is complete nonsense. I would love to know how it was arrived at.

When you look at the quoted webside, you can find out this very easily, namely following the link What Were the U.K. Earnings Rate and Consumer Price Index Then? A Data Study.

contrex wrote:

You can't compare apples and oranges, except on "gee-whiz" web sites for kids.

I would agree that some university students of history are still kids, but normally I would like to add "like" to that.

I doubt, however, that the authors thought their result to be part of a "geew-whiz" website. Infact, it's used commonly in the scientific world.

contrex wrote:
For example, in England in the late 19th century a housemaid might expect to get £12 per year plus accommodation.

A similar post in a hotel in 2004 would get around £12,000 per year. So that's 1,000 times (or 100,000%) wage inflation straight away.

I mean, when you compare house prices within the last few years in England ...
(Which is an as unscientific method as using only wages, especially those of house servants, especially taking the 19th century for that as reference point.)
0 Replies