Why is Bush reading Tom Wolfe? Don't ask

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 08:53 pm
I read Bauhaus to Our House and barely remember it, as is my way, but me, I like Neutra and Schindler houses, of which I am quite familiar, for being, but I've lived as an adult in bungalows. I like, though, that all that existed and is considered still important.

On post modernism, whewie, just a deconstructing sort of ride. Mostly I mourn perfectly good small houses in my what-turns-out-to-be architectually proliferative neighborhood (it was cheap) being jones'd around to be in magazines. My neighborhood was where Gehry and Mayne and others played. It was all part of the architectural learning, but those lil treasures are gone.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 01:04 pm
I grew up in an 18th century house which my mother still lives in (not a manson but a much less impressive and distinctive rural farm house). I live in a part of rural Connecticut where those house are still quite common. Both they and the international style have a sever sort of functionality, so perhaps that is where my point of view comes from. Lack of architectural "fripperies" is a basic component of my world view and their addition offends my "puritan" soul.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 08:09 pm
It's my guess Bush isn't reading any of those books, but just letting a list be drawn up for the public to admire.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 11:33 am
Re Wolfe as an older person writing about college students:

Of course, he has the right to say anything he wants. But how can we take seriously a guy that age telling us what college students are like these days? If I'm interested in the subject, I'll go to someone a little closer to the scene...
0 Replies