Am I having panic attacks??

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2018 06:46 pm
Alright, so twice before, I was abruptly hit with these feelings of panic and helplessness and anxiety. I was breathless and gasping for air. The first time, my friend had calmed me down and the second time, I was locked in a bathroom stall and managed to control my breathing. But here's the thing: they both only lasted a minute or two -- maybe even in less time. I read online that panic attacks last at least ten minutes. Am I being irrational or is this just the beginning? Will it get worse?

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2018 06:55 pm
@DustAndRust,
Locked in a bathroom stall? Worthy of a panic attack, for sure.

If these "attacks" affect your daily life, consider therapy. But from what you have described, this is appropriate responses to real events.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 04:50 am
It does sound very much like the few panic attacks I've had. So, you're not bonkers which ought to be a consolation but they're acutely unpleasant. Can I ask how old you are and whether you have access to medical services (do you have medical insurance)?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 07:15 am
Yep, those sound like panic attacks (mine always seem to come with nausea - such a delight).

Work with your doctor. You might also want to take up yoga, which can help you control your breathing and might (I hope) give you self-calming techniques.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2018 01:57 pm
@DustAndRust,
Were you certain you were dying? If so: PANIC ATTACK! If not dealt with they will get worse.

There are drugs that will help, but they have side-effects...sleepiness being the main one.

I went through a period of about a year during which I was beset by full blown panic attacks and each time I was sure I was dying. I was always able to talk myself down, but it wasn't until my PCP recognized them for what they were and prescribed Klonopin that I was able to kick them. I won't lie, the drug was oppressive in terms of the semi-stupor it created, but it worked.

Now all I suffer from are episodes of generalized anxiety, which while not as debilitating as panic attacks are nothing to wish for. I keep Trazadone with me at all times and if I feel anxiety creeping up I take 1/4 of a pill. It does the trick although it will make me a bit sluggish

People who have not experienced anxiety tend to think it's just a matter of bucking up. I wish it were so. Still, I've led a very happy and successful life despite my brain chemical imbalance. Sometimes it is very bad, but the same can be said, I'm sure, for anyone with a chronic illness.

Life has sharp edges.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2018 02:01 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
BTW..If you smoke pot, stop.

Also cut way back on stimulants like coffee and exercise regularly.

Meditation helps too but it's not a simple thing to accomplish, especially for people who often find being alone in their head to be discomforting.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Am I having panic attacks??
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 12:45:37