HAPPY EVACUATION DAY!

Setanta

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2018 07:01 pm
This goes out to everyone in Bah-stin. For our Brit members, sorry 'bout yer luck.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 438 • Replies: 6

centrox

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2018 04:17 am
In Britain, government employees get the Queen's birthday as a "floater". If King George were still alive, we'd get his instead.

Quote:
The Massachusetts Senate voted 25-12 to eliminate two holidays for state workers in a decision just before midnight on Thursday [in May 2010]. The vote abolishes Evacuation Day on March 17 and Bunker Hill Day on June 17, two holidays that have been criticized as extravagant benefits for state employees. "I know times are different, but don't ridicule what is part of our history, where people died," said Sen. John A. Hart, D-Boston, in a last-ditch plea to keep the two holidays for state workers. "Take this seriously. If you don't think it deserves a holiday, so be it. But it is part of who we are." The holidays, which celebrate Revolutionary War battles, are for about 50,000 state workers, municipal and county employees in Boston and the rest of Suffolk County. Under some union contracts, state workers in other parts of the state receive the holidays as "floaters" to be taken at any time.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2018 11:30 pm
Growing up in Queens, New York, I remember getting Brooklyn-Queens Day off every year. That date commemorated the day Brooklyn and Queens both became part of New York City. Schools in the other three boroughs didn't get it off, as I recall. It was in June, a couple of weeks before school closed, so it was sort of a nice harbinger of summer vacation. Don't think they celebrate it anymore, though.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2018 01:46 am
We're way behind. In the latter, western Roman Empire, nearly a third of the days in a year were public holidays. As we are already going to Hell in a hand basket, we might as well party on down!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2018 07:03 am
I went to Bahstin once and sure enough there were no Redcoats quartered there.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2018 08:51 am
@Setanta,
Thankfully, I'm cozy sitting here at my work desk in Midtown Manhattan.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2018 10:02 am
I keep thinking this is going to be a thread about pooping.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » HAPPY EVACUATION DAY!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 08:02:13