Safest cities on the US

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2018 12:15 pm
When I worked for Florsheim Shoe Company, we lived in Naperville, IL, rated the safest city in the US. We now live in Sunnyvale, CA, rated as the 7th safest. Not bad choices.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 291 • Replies: 4
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2018 01:29 pm
Here is a comprehensive look at safety in Houston:
https://safearound.com/americas/united-states-of-america/houston/

Crime in Houston is high, and the city has a reputation among Texans a a high crime city. Travelers to Houston should follow common safety procedures such as staying away from deserted areas after dark, keeping purses/wallets in a secure location, and putting valuables out-of-sight in parked vehicles. However, it is important to always keep an eye on your belongings and remain alert for any suspicious activity. Some areas recommended to avoid are Houston’s Third Ward neighborhood near the University of Houston and Sunnyside south of Downtown Houston. These areas have a very high crime rate, especially for violent crimes. There is gang related activity in the Southwest side of Houston, so it is best to not visit, especially at night. We recommend to visit the tourist areas of Houston like Downtown Houston, Memorial City, the Galleria area, and the Medical Center.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2018 01:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
My wife went to Houston to expand her nursing skills, and I was able to go with her and see the sites, but this was many decades ago. I enjoyed my visit. It's too bad Houston became such an unsafe city.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2018 02:32 pm
Does this really matter?

There are lots of people who live and raise kids and have perfectly good lives in Houston and Manhattan and Chicago and Boston. The chance that you will be a victim of a violent crime is pretty low in any of these cities (less than 1%).

Your chances of being a victim of a violent crime is even lower if you are a woman, or you are middle aged, or you are White. These statistics include people who engage in risky behavior such as drinking, or fighting or drug use.

The added stress of worrying about crime is likely lowering your life expectancy far more than the risk of crime that will almost certainly never happen to you. Middle-aged White people exaggerate risk to the point that it is silly.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2018 02:42 pm
@maxdancona,
I have never worried about my safety in any city I have visited. I even went to Cairo a week after the German's were massacred at Hatshepsut Temple.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Safest cities on the US
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 09:12:15