get

tara85

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2018 11:08 am
Hi
What does "get" mean?
1- I got off the bed and opened the door.
2- How can I get past her without her seeing me.

oralloy

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2018 11:28 am
Probably:

4.1 [no object, with adverbial] Move or come into a specified position, situation, or state.
'she got into the car'
'Henry got to his feet'
'you don't want to get into debt'

http://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/get
tara85

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2018 11:32 am
@oralloy,
I know this definition, please what is synonym for that? how do you write those without "get"?
oralloy

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2018 12:12 pm
@tara85,
tara85 wrote:
please what is synonym for that?

Perhaps move. Anything that has to do with changing your location.

When you get off the bed, you are transporting yourself from "on the bed" to "not on the bed".

When you get past someone, you are transporting yourself from one side of them to the other.

tara85 wrote:
how do you write those without "get"?

1- I rose from the bed and opened the door.
2- How can I move past her without her seeing me?
2- How can I slip past her without her seeing me?
centrox

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2018 01:54 pm
Agreed. As the Oxford Dictionary says, 'reach or cause to reach a specified state or condition'. 'Off the bed' is a state or condition. To 'get past' something or someone can mean to pass by them or it without some undesired thing happening: how can I get past that big dog without being bitten? How can I get past the store detective with a frozen chicken under my coat? There are very many verb phrases using 'get', many of which a good dictionary will list.

Also:
Quote:
The verb get is in the top five of the most common verbs in the English language. Nevertheless, there is still a feeling that almost any use containing get is somewhat informal. No general informal label has been applied to this dictionary entry, but in formal writing it is worth bearing this reservation in mind

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/get

tara85

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2018 05:20 am
@oralloy,
Thank you o much
0 Replies

tara85

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2018 05:21 am
@centrox,
Thank you very much
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » get
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/26/2024 at 10:19:28