Our love affair with trains.

coluber2001

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2019 08:45 am
Realistic model railroad

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2019 02:12 pm
@coluber2001,
Quote:
Wolsztyn [ˈvɔlʂtɨn] (German: Wollstein) is a town in western Poland, on the western edge of Greater Poland Voivodeship (from 1975 to 1998 it was in Zielona Góra Voivodeship). It is the seat of Wolsztyn County, and of the smaller administrative district of Gmina Wolsztyn.
[...]
Locomotive depot

The railway line from Wolsztyn to Zbąszyń opened in 1886. The Bahnbetriebswerk (Parowozownia) Wolsztyn is famous as the location of a locomotive roundhouse, which is the last place in Europe to supply standard gauge steam locomotives for regular, timetabled train services on the national railway network. As of 2011 these services run to Leszno and Zbąszynek. The site also includes a railway museum featuring restored locomotives.

Since 1993 the Polish State Railways organises an annual parade of locomotives, which takes place at the start of May. The 2007 event, which also celebrated the roundhouse's centenary, attracted about 20,000 visitors.
Wikipedia

Information, timetable, locomotives and much more here (in Polish) and here (in German)

They've got three live webcams

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2019 06:12 am
@Walter Hinteler,
This engnine just now got new coal and water ...

https://i.imgur.com/zi4SKGQl.jpg

... works fine

https://i.imgur.com/gRLe8rhl.jpg
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 9 Jun, 2019 01:01 pm
Derailment and trainwreck of an intermodal train. Enormous damage and loss of the containers. It was stated that there were no injuries, but there could have been freight hoppers on board.

0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 9 Jun, 2019 02:38 pm
Swanton, Ohio train wreck drone footage. 13 Intermodal container cars derailed. They were empty containers.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2020 11:48 pm
@coluber2001,
Bishop Treacy's National Railway Museum photos show 'power of steam'
Quote:
An archive of 12,000 pictures from one of "Britain's best railway photographers" is being digitised at The National Railway Museum.

Taken by Bishop Eric Treacy over about 40 years they are mostly in black and white and feature steam locomotives and the men who worked on them.

He was taking railway pictures at a station in Cumbria when he died in 1978.

The museum said Treacy's pictures were "of a way of life that's now entirely gone".

Science Museum Group - Collection of Railway Photos

https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/search/categories/photographic-collections-(railway)
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2022 04:14 pm
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2022 06:06 pm
@coluber2001,
Oh I do love trains since my early childhood when I use to go to Barcelona to Barraquer Ophthalmologic clinic to save my vision from blindness which I did.

I remember vividly to stay woke at night in my bunk lurking through the window and seeing the lights of far away villages while the train kept on pushing

I have trouble sleeping so I cannot afford to do the trans-Siberian train but that would be a perfect adventure. The oriental express is to well know and I rather avoid the typical tourist company.

USA is a bit to far but I would love to do a Coast to Coast also.

Advice on other routes is welcomed!
Albuquerque

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2022 06:28 pm
@Albuquerque,
Pick your poison if you like trains, I play the classic since 2010 or so, and of course steam engines are my go to option for the most part of what I bought.

Check this marvel:
Albuquerque

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2022 07:13 pm
@Albuquerque,
A tutorial to get you over the fence on some pretty good steam locos:
(There are some pretty good American Steam locos, to look for the best get on Reddit)
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 01:37:09