Facebook Friending and Privacy

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2018 08:22 am
I want to Friend a person on Facebook, but I do not want that friend to be able to post anything to my wall or to contact any other of my friends. I get confused when trying to understand descriptions for the Facebook settings on privacy.

View best answer, chosen by Smart Pig
jespah
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2018 08:26 am
@Smart Pig,
Facebook privacy settings stink.

You can follow this person rather than friend them, and also require that everyone who attempts to post to your wall, that all of their stuff has to be approved.

You can't stop them from talking to your friends. Not only doesn't FB work that way, but life doesn't, either.
Smart Pig

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2018 08:44 am
@jespah,
Thanks
When going to this person's Home page or Timeline, I do NOT see any Follow button.
jespah

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2018 09:15 am
@Smart Pig,
They don't seem to be consistent (I just checked).

If there is one, then it's on their account, just to the right of the 'add friend' button. This depends on their settings.

If you want people to follow you (just so you can see how this is done) go to Settings>Public Posts>Who Can Follow Me and select 'Public'. The only other selection is 'Friends'.

You can (I believe) friend them and then go to their profile, pull down where it says 'friends' (just above 'message') and pull down, selecting 'acquaintance'.

But again, the privacy settings are terrible. FB doesn't seem to realize people might want to segregate their friends (say, if you have a friend who's also in sales, and you don't want them to bug other people on your friends list - far as I can tell, that can't be done, which is silly. It's a perfectly valid use case).
Smart Pig

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2018 10:26 am
@jespah,
Ok, I understand and thanks for the advice. I agree -- FB doesn't understand why some people want more control over their privacy in-so-far as who gets to see what. I am only an infrequent user of FB because of issues like this, and also being that infrequent user, I do not understand all of the navigation of the sw.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Facebook Friending and Privacy
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 04:00:04