Brief Interviews With Hideous Men

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 02:27 pm
I was wondering if anyone had an interpretation for the final line of Brief Interview #36 05-97. The story ends with a Q and then the interviewee saying "Who?" Any ideas on what the question may have been?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,860 • Replies: 5
No top replies

centrox

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 03:53 pm
Since we cannot see the text in question, answers are likely to be slow in forthcoming.
0 Replies

ekename

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 08:22 pm
@jbphilouza,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brief_Interviews_with_Hideous_Men

"Brief Interviews with Hideous Men (1999) is a collection of 23 short stories by American writer David Foster Wallace. Several of the stories are entitled "Brief Interviews with Hideous Men" and are presented as transcripts of interviews with male subjects. The interviewer's questions are omitted from the transcripts, rendered merely as "Q." These stories and the rest of the collection are characterized by dark dry humor, alienation, and unconventional sexuality."

Quote:
Any ideas on what the question may have been?

Yes, got any yourself?

http://machines.plannedobsolescence.net/dfwwiki/index.php?title=%22Brief_Interviews_with_Hideous_Men%22
jbphilouza

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 08:28 pm
@ekename,
My best guess is that it has something to do with the interviewee's girlfriend and him saying "who?" illustrates how oblivious/self-absorbed he is. That having been said, I'm having trouble coming up with what the exact question/comment might be. I know that it being ambiguous is sort of the point of the format, but I'm curious to hear your ideas!
ekename

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 08:37 pm
@jbphilouza,
How would the interviewee's girlfriend be relevant (what girlfriend)?

Given that the response is a question I reckon that what the interviewee said was not a question eg.

I'd like you to see another counsellor here.
Who?
or

I think your problems stem from your relationship with a close family member.
Who?

Homework?
ekename

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 09:00 pm
@ekename,
Quote:
After the interviewee states, "I like myself", the interview concludes with the traditional use of 'Q.' indicating a question has been asked, followed by the man's enigmatic response: "'Who?'"

Sorry, I lost the plot for a while.

I: I like myself.
Q: What about your girlfriend?
I: Who?
0 Replies