Smeg it! I'm a Janeite!

Hazlitt

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 10:48 am
John Major
Hiama wrote:
As an aside Trollope was John Major's, our last Prime Minister before Blair, favourite author

I think I read that his favorite novel is "The Small House at Alington," which has all the elements I described in my earlier post.

One thing about Trollope is that when he uses the words "Now we will have to say a few words about..." you can get ready for a long but informative aside or bit of background necessary for the story. I always like these. Mrs. Hazlitt is less enthusiastic.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 04:36 pm
digressions, heehee
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 05:58 pm
Austin in the Parlor
Yes, Dlowan, we do have a big area of agreement about Austin. I went back and read your intro. That was a very good dichotomy that you drew. I too would rather concentrate on the small world in which we play out our real lives.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 06:15 pm
It is interesting, no?

it sort of came up because larry kept criticising books (often with women authors) for not having sweep and hugeness and such - and I was thinking that the microcosm may contain all - or much - or, at least, that both spheres have their wonders and glories and horrors.

I think the small - which is often associated with women - has been denigrated - but that, largely, we live our lives within it.

Austen her self described her work as a tiny piece of ivory on which she painted, expending much work with little effect - but, of course, it is the subtlety and finesse of her work which renders it seemingly so smooth, that its profundities may slip down our gullets without being noticed, while the larger, rougher works require more obvious effort in chewing and digestion.

I love the big and the small, as it happens.
0 Replies